Hello Kamado Peeps,

I made the best pork belly ever with smoke flavour as well as 100% perfect crackling.

Take your pork belly and do a lot more scoring on the skin and if you have one of those goodies with lots of spikes then spike the skin. Then ladle boiling water over the skin about 10-15 time to make sure the skin has boiled up a little. Pat dry and then place skin side down on a bed of salt, leave in fridge for 12-24 hours.

After that just wipe the salt off the skin and add your favorite rub on the meat side.

Cook indirect heat at 200-220°C until internal Temp is at 75°C perfection.

Keep smoking 

20200802_180500.jpg

20200802_182620.jpg

I don’t know why but I have only smoked belly once on the Akorn.  Yes I do.  The local Portuguese store has a hot counter and serves up bags of warm, 1 inch square nuggets of porky goodness “to go”...  Please don’t tell my wife where I have been going.

Anyhow, you’ve inspired me.  This weekend.  My house.  Be there!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By LJS
      Hello Kamado Peeps,
      Has ana awesome weekend.
      My friend did a low and slow leg of lamb on the Webber kettle and left it in sauce with the aim of enhancing the gravy. It sure did and pulled apart beautifully on the rolls, he also did not use any wood just natural spices.    
      So I had to do a cook myself. Went to this new meat shop (meat emporium Sydney) and the selection and quality is really good. I walked out over budget and decided to do some pork ribs a monster pcs.
      Spice: Pepper, salt, garlic, mustard, onion, paprika, sugar and cayenne pepper  
      Wood: Cheery and 1pcs pecan
      3 2 1 method – full proof as always, some 5-6 hours later yummy
      Keep smoking ….

• By Brickyoung
      Hey family,

I plan to smoke 7 pork butts on my Big Joe using my extender rack.  All the butts weigh between 7-8 pounds.  

Should I maintain the general rule of approx 1.5 -2 hours cook time at 225? With that, is it fair to say this cool will be approx 16 hours for all 7 butts? I just want to make sure the extra capacity doesn’t affect my cook time.

I’d appreciate advice based on prior experience from you folks. 

Thanks!
    • By Fudpucker
      As the title suggests, I am looking for help getting my Akorn to act the way I want it to for smoking purposes. 

I have the smoking stone, use a water pan, and lower my dampers until it basically snuffs out my fire, but I cannot seem to keep my Akorn at 225. 

Now, I will admit that I am new to smoking and that there is a lot to be learned, but I have read tons of guides and watched videos and replicated them to my best ability, but still cannot get it to work for me. 

Currently, my process is this:

Open dampers all the way Fill bottom of grill full of hardwood lump Light with cotton balls soaked in alcohol Toss in a couple chunks of hickory Place my smoking stone Place my water pan Close lid and let set until 150 Close dampers halfway until 180 Close dampers again halfway until 210 Close dampers halfway one last time to about .5 on top and bottom.  
      1 of 2 things happens here. Either the temp keeps building to nearly 300 or the fire dies. 

I play with the dampers making very small .5 adjustments to try and finagle it, but I cannot seem to get it right. 

When I do seem to get the temps in a semi stable range around 230-260 (after LOTS of adjustments), after about an hour I go to spritz my meat with some apple juice and the temps take off again (Obviously because I just fed it a lot of oxygen) and never seem to come back down. 

I have read about this "volcano" method of lighting the coals, but I literally have not found any videos or pictures on how to set that up. 

Basically, I have no idea what I am doing wrong and I could use someone being critical of my process to give me some advice and direction. 

Thanks for any feedback!

• By kamado mofo
      Hello All!!! Getting my Kamodo dialed in. Thought I had a gasket issue, but Brian at Hi-Que gave me lots of knowledge about fire control on my grill. Any tips on controlling the level of smoke applied to the cook would be appreciate by this rookie!
    • By Edward Cook
      I've been seeing your posts about pork belly and wondering what the big deal was ... well, now I know!

I headed over to Costco and got one ... seasoned it up with my homemade rub.

After about 4 hours of hickory smoke at 225 - 250 F, I pulled it off the Kamado Joe, rested it and cooled it.

A few hours later when my better half made it home (I'm "working from home" for a few months) ... I sliced it and we heated the slices up on the griddle, and made some fried rice and "stir-fried" green beans with onions, almonds and mushrooms ...

The final product was fantastic ... at least the family thought so ... and that's some spicy Korean BBQ sauce drizzled on the pork belly.

Good times in Texas!