I've been wanting to cook a chuck roast as a brisket.  I finally did it Sunday. Here is the chuck roast to be smoked. I used almond wood for the smoke.

1678980786_ChuckRoast.jpg.467de078ca630053ba3eb36783b85ec8.jpg

Seasoned it with these spices.

Spices.jpg.fe280905dd37aed3ed1db452a28598ce.jpg

Here it is waiting for the grill to get up to temperature.

1649943406_WaitingforGrill.jpg.3c263bfbd2715b361d3a9d75358d84df.jpg

The grill was stable at 200* F and I know that my grill will slowly creep up higher, so onto the grill it went.

2010724561_OntheGrill.jpg.d9650cc4fa08ddf985f758e66d554129.jpg

I took about 2 hours to reach an internal temp of 165*. Grill was holding steady at 225*.  I did not wrap it and let it continue on cooking until an internal temp of 195* and grill temp had crept up to 250*, when I pulled it off the grill and put a couple of peppers from the garden on to roast them a little bit.

IMG_20200802_171031059.jpg.90743dc3cab8e7ef0c26fdc1e2ac830e.jpg

IMG_20200802_171236910.jpg.07758ab5bbe0cb50880f6578058b9cf5.jpg

And here is the meal

. IMG_20200802_173106094.jpg.caeb7fc7ed61a370a21df3852a8c4220.jpg

The roast had a good flavor; however, it was dry. Next time I am going to wrap it at 165* and add some beef stock to let it continue cooking.

Edited by Golf Griller

My $0.02, as I cook a lot of these

I've never wrapped one, but i have noticed that the ones with little fat in the lobes come out significantly less tender and moist as the ones that do. whenever I buy one to smoke, i make sure it has fat in the lobes, not necessarily the big veins of fat like yours has. The area bright by the yellow on the sticker is what I usually look for throughout. I have good luck finding pieces like that at costco in two packs.

That said, i'll bet if you chopped that meat up, and put it in a quesadilla, or on a roll with some cruncy slaw and a pickle, it'll eat just fine

9 minutes ago, KJTerp said:

My $0.02, as I cook a lot of these

I've never wrapped one, but i have noticed that the ones with little fat in the lobes come out significantly less tender and moist as the ones that do. whenever I buy one to smoke, i make sure it has fat in the lobes, not necessarily the big veins of fat like yours has. The area bright by the yellow on the sticker is what I usually look for throughout. I have good luck finding pieces like that at costco in two packs.

That said, i'll bet if you chopped that meat up, and put it in a quesadilla, or on a roll with some cruncy slaw and a pickle, it'll eat just fine

Thanks. I will keep that in mind the next time I smoke one. While it was dry, I was hungry so I ate it. I also gave some to my neighbor, who loves what I grill. I have not been able to talk to him today yet, but I sliced some off and took it over to him before I had any.

Yesterday I cut a chuck into country style beefs ribs. Gave them an onernight in a marinade that contains sodium phosphate to enhance the moisture content. Two hours indirect at 275F and 2 hours wrapped (no added liquids) before they were done. I didn't temp them but they were probe tender. Tasty stuff, right there.

Maybe next time, use the crutch and some liquid or go full on braise to get it where you want it.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:45 PM, dman said:

I like my chuck roasts to go to 165 then put it in a Dutch oven with a can of beef stock, taters, onions and bell peppers and go until tender. Try it. Usually done by 3 hours. 

This is my go to method. I also add garlic and a bit of woosta-shire. I generally find 195 to be a bit lower than where I find probe tenderness on a chuckie. Usually north of 200. Maybe even about 210.  Iirc usually takes a little over 3 hrs, but not much.

Baby carrots also turn delish when added to this.

This is one of my favorite meals. Always a hit. If you are pulling for sammies use a bread that will hold up to the juices. I like chibatta, wonder bread would turn to mush.

13 hours ago, lnarngr said:

First braised chuckie coming off! 

15969296823655262550939010063977.jpg

12 hours ago, lnarngr said:

I morphed Malcolm Reed's "Mississippi Poboy" recipe with the typical roast accoutrement (taters, carrots, onions n shrooms) and it worked out well! 

That looks good. How well done was the chuck roast? When we have done something like this in the past the meat is too well done to slice. It is more like pulled beef. I was wanting to get meat that I could slice.

I think you just remove it sooner to slice. Maybe 195 - 200° IT. 

Mine went well over that and I did slice some of it. It was not certified just from a local Butcher (Fayards) that doesn't have a grade. I loved it but my wife thought it was too "tendony". (Sweet Jehovah!) 

I will duplicate with a known premium grade and see if she likes it better. I will also try it with Round roast for her.