Not Criticizing, Just Inquiring

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

Everything I have from Kamado Joe that has a powdercoating on it loses the powdercoating.  This piece is no different.

I'm confused. So, you are ok with it? 

Why does it lose its powdercoating?  Is powdercoating just a temporary application to somehow protect in shipping? 

So what's the point of powdercoating?  Is there a powdercoating application that won't peel?

Sort of reminds me of the older white Chevy Vans that had all the paint coming off the hood and top.  LOL

3 minutes ago, Gebo said:

I'm confused. So, you are ok with it? 

Why does it lose its powdercoating?  Is powdercoating just a temporary application to somehow protect in shipping? 

So what's the point of powdercoating?  Is there a powdercoating application that won't peel?

Sort of reminds me of the older white Chevy Vans that had all the paint coming off the hood and top.  LOL

Well, in a perfect world it would not peel, but yea.. I'm OK with it.  I'd rather see something that worked better than whatever they are doing.  I'm a bad example on something like this.  My grills aren't prom queens and I don't care too much if they have some blemishes.  My grills work hard.  They get used a lot.  

A car is different to me.  I'd not accept that on a car.  Cars don't get exposed to this kind of use though, and if they do, they won't look very good either.  

The powdercoating is mostly gone off my SLoROLLER and my Kontrol Tower top vents... there is a LOT missing from those.  My DoJOE and my JOEtisserie haven't lost as much but they both have their places.  

It does look like there would be a way to correct this.  That's why I was asking everyone if their's has done this.

Maybe just some DoJoe's do this?????

My Top Vent is fine.  I am lusting for a SloRoller?  Will they have one for the older Big Joe?

7 minutes ago, Gebo said:

It does look like there would be a way to correct this.  That's why I was asking everyone if their's has done this.

Maybe just some DoJoe's do this?????

My Top Vent is fine.  I am lusting for a SloRoller?  Will they have one for the older Big Joe?

There's always a way.  But there's a price to go with it too.  I haven't seen any KJ powdercoated product yet that hasn't suffered from it.  What you have that isn't peeling or chipping yet will before its over.  

I have been told since the inception of the SLoROLLER that there would be backwards compatible models made available at some point.  It hasn't happened yet but I to understand that it's still on the table.

Here's some info from a Powder Coat Wiki.

....Powder coating can also be removed by a burning off process, in which parts are put into a large high-temperature oven with temperatures typically reaching an air temperature of 300 - 450 °C. The process takes about four hours and requires the parts to be cleaned completely and re-powder coated. Parts made with a thinner-gauge material need to be burned off at a lower temperature to prevent the material from warping.....

300 - 450 C   =   572 - 842 F

47 minutes ago, Rick in Ontario said:

So, why is my original old style daisy wheel not peeling after 6 years of ownership?

Really, serious question, what changed and why is it supposed to be acceptable that the color coatings do not last on newer Kamado Joe's, it is not like they are bottom of the line low cost products?

That's a good question. Some of the original daisy wheels didn't seem to peel but some of the later ones did.  Is yours still all intact on the inside/underside?