Not Criticizing, Just Inquiring

2 hours ago, Rick in Ontario said:

John;

I just watched your pork butt on the Jr. video and aside from now being very hungry, I noticed the daisy wheel on you Jr. does not appear to be peeling?

I have no answers for you.  I apologize for saying that all powdercoated parts from kj peel off.  I thought we were talking about modern parts.  And yes, some of these peeled too.

11 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I have no answers for you.  I apologize for saying that all powdercoated parts from kj peel off.  I thought we were talking about modern parts.  And yes, some of these peeled too.

Fair enough but I will ask again, why is it that we feel this is acceptable? I don't, not at all.

18 hours ago, Rick in Ontario said:

Fair enough but I will ask again, why is it that we feel this is acceptable? I don't, not at all.

I didn't say it was acceptable.  I just said it doesn't bother ME.  It's acceptable to ME but I would never expect anyone else to share my thoughts on that.  

Let me re post what I said:

"Well, in a perfect world it would not peel, but yea.. I'm OK with it.  I'd rather see something that worked better than whatever they are doing.  I'm a bad example on something like this.  My grills aren't prom queens and I don't care too much if they have some blemishes.  My grills work hard.  They get used a lot."

6 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I didn't say it was acceptable.  I just said it doesn't bother ME.  It's acceptable to ME but I would never expect anyone else to share my thoughts on that.  

Let me re post what I said:

"Well, in a perfect world it would not peel, but yea.. I'm OK with it.  I'd rather see something that worked better than whatever they are doing.  I'm a bad example on something like this.  My grills aren't prom queens and I don't care too much if they have some blemishes.  My grills work hard.  They get used a lot."

Sorry John, I didn't mean my comment to be directed at you in particular, although I now realize it appears that way.

General statement again, the OP has a very valid point and concern regarding the food he is cooking becoming contaminated with paint flakes made of who knows what that his family is eating.

I wonder what Kamado Joe's response would be to a concern on that level?

1 hour ago, Rick in Ontario said:

Sorry John, I didn't mean my comment to be directed at you in particular, although I now realize it appears that way.

General statement again, the OP has a very valid point and concern regarding the food he is cooking becoming contaminated with paint flakes made of who knows what that his family is eating.

I wonder what Kamado Joe's response would be to a concern on that level?

There have been various threads about top vents peeling since the Series 2 was released. Its a common and well known issue with the top vents.

You can try and get your DoeJoe replaced under warranty, but the new one will peel eventually as well (I'm on my 3 top vent in 3 years)

This wasnt an issue on the old style daisy wheels as they were cast iron. I suspect the aluminum components expand when heated more than traditional cast iron and that would be contributing to the problem

In regards to KJs response to the possibility of people eating paint, this has been and issue (one way or another) for a while now and there doesnt look to be a permanent fix on the horizon, so that should tell you how serious KJ think this issue is 

It is interesting that my top vent isn't peeling.  I have the new style vent.

It's just the DoJoe.  Here are a few additional photos. After 3 pizza cooks.

Part of me says to take a wire brush to remove the rest of the flakes.

OR...just buy an OONI.

IMG_3916.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

In fairness to KJ, heat always wins over paint. Given high-temp paint is rated to 1,200F, I suspect if you've run 800-900F on the dome thermometer, you'll have some peeling. Mine's peeling only in the hottest spots; I hardly notice when it's closed. I also store indoors, so no rust issues. 

Frank

14 minutes ago, fbov said:

In fairness to KJ, heat always wins over paint. Given high-temp paint is rated to 1,200F, I suspect if you've run 800-900F on the dome thermometer, you'll have some peeling. Mine's peeling only in the hottest spots; I hardly notice when it's closed. I also store indoors, so no rust issues. 

Frank

My experience with the paint peeling issues on the KJ top vent is that it takes more than just heat.  When I got my first 2 series grills, I had one that I used mainly for hotter cooks and another that I used mainly for low and slow and cooking at 350f or under.  The cooler grill is the one that suffered paint peeling first and more severely than the other.  I believe the combination of greasy residue AND heat has a greater impact on the powdercoat than just the heat alone.  

The KONTROL TOWER has another issue that is an off-shoot of the powdercoating issue.  It gets sticky and doesn't slide well.  THAT problem becomes a non-issue after the powdercoating has come off the mating surfaces.....

I have two sizes of DoJoe, and both have chips after my pizza peel assaults. Aluminum oxide takes over almost instantly and life goes on. The worst that comes off of those coatings is not going to hold a candle to the composition of 304 stainless which we all cook our food on perfectly happily. I don't think there is a perfect way to coat high temp aluminum BBQ parts, and the KJ way actually works pretty well without seemingly vaporizing harmful coatings. FWIW, on my control towers, I am ready for some chipping! Those things get sticky!

On the other side, as a small business owner that manufactures some super hard use parts, I lose my shirt every time I warranty a perfectly working cosmetic repair (and ironically these requests never come from those that I know are using things the hardest), so I try to look past cosmetics when I look at the products I buy. It always stinks when coatings wear down, and I totally get the disappointment, but I think of it as well-earned battle scars.

The art from a kamado is what you produce on it, not the components used for the cook. :)

EDIT: I took a look at the photos on the second page, did you have runaway heat (maybe left control tower open and things went nuts and then cooled fast when fuel burned out making it possible you did not even notice)? I ask because the screws and the claws are steel (ferrous, you can check with a magnet) and those clearly got extremely HOT. My steel parts still look the day I got the DoJoes after a ton of flirting with 700f cooks.

If you do take the coating off, pay someone to blast, you will be happy you did instead of torturing yourself with a wire brush.

Edited by gotzero
4 minutes ago, gotzero said:

On the other side, as a small business owner that manufactures some super hard use parts, I lose my shirt every time I warranty a perfectly working cosmetic repair 

If i had a dollar for everytime I saw someone on social media saying they were going to ask for a warranty replacement for a minor chip in a fire bowl or a scratch on their base I'd probably have enough money to buy Kamado Joe 

And don't get me started on BGE guys who expect to get a replacement dome when they smash theirs due to not checking the bolts are tight once a year...

Not to upset anyone but i've been using charcoal grills for over 65 years and have seen first hand what fire and heat does to metal and finishes on grills.not to mention what the grease does. This is not a new issue I've had grills that handled the heat well and some that didn't. My dad and i bought grills together and one out lasted the other by years.. Fire and heat can even cause stainless steel to rust, everything we buy in stores is made with trade offs in manufacturing I know the Kamados are expensive, but if Kamado joe has to trade off super quality for something they can sell. Wonder haw much a polished stainless steel DoJoe would cost? they picked aluminum for ease of manufacturing and cost to make and sell. When they change things like the Kontrol tower make you wonder what were they thinking? Good idea,but the materials ? We should be upset when we buy things that don't last like they should but that unfortunately that's what we accepted for quite a while.  One last thing this forum is for us to express our views and that is good 

13 hours ago, gotzero said:

EDIT: I took a look at the photos on the second page, did you have runaway heat (maybe left control tower open and things went nuts and then cooled fast when fuel burned out making it possible you did not even notice)? I ask because the screws and the claws are steel (ferrous, you can check with a magnet) and those clearly got extremely HOT. My steel parts still look the day I got the DoJoes after a ton of flirting with 700f cooks.

If you do take the coating off, pay someone to blast, you will be happy you did instead of torturing yourself with a wire brush.

The hottest  it got was 750 for a few minutes.  Of course, that is going by the dome thermometer. As you can see, I removed the DoJoe and placed it on the handrail of my deck for pics.  It did get rained on over the weekend and rusted.  I can remove that discoloration with a brillo pad. 

Good point about sand blasting.  Thanks!