Are there times when it’s more beneficial to use another cooker rather then a Kamado but we still “Kamado”?  I’m thinking of fast fried things that aren’t over the fire but in a pan or griddle....is it worth it to fire up the ceramics and consume the lump that lately seems to be in short supply? For example, I don’t know because I don’t do smash burgers but is there a taste difference between cooking them on a griddle in a Kamado vs on the stove or using a Blackstone griddle?  I do notice a taste difference with bacon I’ve fried in a pan on the Big Joe vs on the stove. Just looking for friendly discussion.  

When to Kamado? 

Always Kamado! 

JK! 

I too have a Blackstone. The meal will usually determine which is used. I can barely get stir-fry done on a 28" griggle, it would be fruitless for me to attempt it on the kamado. 

There's videos of folks cooking steaks on a griggle. Uh, no. I have cooked them over charcoal and seared them with the Blackstone.

My heart always leans to the charcoal! 

Timing and weather right now.  My current deck is uncovered...if I feel I have a short window to get the cook done and it needs to be grilled (example...salmon as my wife would not be happy if I cooked fish in the house...even if it was never going to smell in the first place...)  In such a case to get it done before the rain starts...I fire up the gasser.  Set up and timing of when things go on and off typically affects me too.

Last week smoking ribs...and the pork tenderloin I was making for the rest of the family...didn't want too much smoke to it given the marinade I was using and what I was going to use for leftovers...plus wanting it to all be done at the same time....Ribs were on the kamado with the pork tenderloin on the gasser.

And sometimes its just comfortability.  Last night did a reverse sear on some bacon wrapped filets.  Still being a little new to the Kamado vs years on the gasser..I opted for the gas grill to cook up some foil wrapped corn on the cob as I know the timing of making it perfect to where we like it (then  took out mine and gave it a bit of a char on the Kamado since I had the heat up...and Im the only one in the family who likes the little char on my corn).

Good to have the options.

Most times...if I know I have the time to get coals going the right way...I will chose the Kamado.

I only have a Kamado Big Joe. But if i had a black stone, I probably wouldnt use my Kamado Joe for griddle style food. But because I dont have a black stone, I do use the kamado joe for smash burgers and searing steaks at high temperatures (you really cant get a nice sear in a home kitchen without smoking out the house). I wouldnt think there would be a taste difference between griddle style on kamado vs griddle style on black stone.  The main benefit i believe to having the griddle style accessories is to save the space from acquiring another grill (not that theres anything wrong with having a bunch of grills if thats what you like. I do like having the 1 grill on my deck that can “do a lot” vs having many grills/smokers though)

37 minutes ago, William said:

I have come to realize for me, it's easier to use the Weber Kettle for any cook that takes less than 45 minutes. It just takes less time to set up and get going than the Kamado. Cooks that take longer than 45 minutes I fire up the Kamado.

LaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLa! 

Not listening to logic! 

Stop making sense! 

Blasphemy! 

:razz:

4 hours ago, William said:

I have come to realize for me, it's easier to use the Weber Kettle for any cook that takes less than 45 minutes. It just takes less time to set up and get going than the Kamado. Cooks that take longer than 45 minutes I fire up the Kamado.

I will respectfully disagree.  I fought more with my kettles then I ever do with my kamados.  

I think each grill is different and takes time to figure out . A few years ago when i lived in the other house my neighbor bought a  BGE  I helped him conquer it by keeping the beers open and giving moral support, on a lot of cooks .But we got him through the gas to charcoal learning curve. Never gave it much thought about firing joe up  probably cause it's my only option. My son in Okinawa swears by his kettle when he comes home to visit. He gets a new one every three years or so usually due to him leaving out side when a typhoon hits .

1 minute ago, Lumpy_Coal said:

I fought with having even heat and fluctuating temps in anything but sunny summer days.  Don’t get me wrong, I loved my kettles but kamados are way easier.  In my opinion.  

I agree with Kamados keeping consistent temp. That's why I mentioned anything over 45 minutes, because those cooks usually require consistent and even heat. Under 45 minutes is just grillin' and I use my hand over the vent to determine my temps. Heck, my Kettle doesn't even have a thermometer in the lid and my food comes out amazing!

On 8/13/2020 at 12:01 AM, Lumpy_Coal said:

Are there times when it’s more beneficial to use another cooker rather then a Kamado but we still “Kamado”?  I’m thinking of fast fried things that aren’t over the fire but in a pan or griddle.

IMHO, it depends on what your cooking, and how you want to cook it, and the level of control you have or want.    Not sure I would ever use the kamado for frying, .i'm sure some have with success.   beside my kamados,  I have a 100K BTU propane burner I use for wok cooking,  I can get some nice wok-hei with the propane burner, not sure I could get that with a wok on a kamado.   I am intrigued by the blackstone griddle.