Assembly Question for Classic 3

Amoeba

I finally received my Classic 3 this morning and will be assembling it later. I have been watching YouTube videos regarding assembly and wanted to ask about the part where me and another will be lifting the grill and placing it on the stand. Is it OK to lift it using the brackets that the shelves will later hinge on or is that not recommend? If it isn't recommended, how should we lift it? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Amoeba said:

I finally received my Classic 3 this morning and will be assembling it later. I have been watching YouTube videos regarding assembly and wanted to ask about the part where me and another will be lifting the grill and placing it on the stand. Is it OK to lift it using the brackets that the shelves will later hinge on or is that not recommend? If it isn't recommended, how should we lift it? Thanks!

Use one of the shelf brackets and the rear hinge assembly as lifting points and you should be fine.  Just make sure all the inner parts are out of the grill before you lift it into the stand.

36 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Use one of the shelf brackets and the rear hinge assembly as lifting points and you should be fine.  Just make sure all the inner parts are out of the grill before you lift it into the stand.

Ok, thanks!

You should not lift it by that bracket.  It took two of us to carry my Classic III up the stairs to the deck.  Once of us picked it up by the low opening on the bottom where the ash tray inserts, and  the other got it around the body of the lower part of the grill at the back.  It went up the stairs basically upright, and we put it on the ground to get the stand wheels locked and we placed it in the stand using the same technique.  It was not hard to move, but I do not want to do it again real soon.

2 hours ago, KJH said:

You should not lift it by that bracket.  It took two of us to carry my Classic III up the stairs to the deck.  Once of us picked it up by the low opening on the bottom where the ash tray inserts, and  the other got it around the body of the lower part of the grill at the back.  It went up the stairs basically upright, and we put it on the ground to get the stand wheels locked and we placed it in the stand using the same technique.  It was not hard to move, but I do not want to do it again real soon.

Is the bracket flimsy enough that lifting with it will break it?

There is a lot of weight there.  I wanted to make sure the bracket did not slide and create an issue.  The bracket needs to be tight to allow the lid hinge to work properly, but I would not trust it to hold the weight.  Two people and a falling grill can cause some serious injuries on a set of stairs.  Maybe I am a little over cautious.

15 minutes ago, KJH said:

There is a lot of weight there.  I wanted to make sure the bracket did not slide and create an issue.  The bracket needs to be tight to allow the lid hinge to work properly, but I would not trust it to hold the weight.  Two people and a falling grill can cause some serious injuries on a set of stairs.  Maybe I am a little over cautious.

Your caution is definitely understandable.

I gotta admit, putting together that firebox was definitely the most difficult part of putting the grill together. The plates kept popping out from the steel ring. I even rubbed one of my knuckles raw. Is it ok to clean a couple of blood stains off using Lysol wipes from the ceramic plates?

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a great tip from @Smokingdadbbq about putting some wads of paper towels behind the firebox plates to line them up when putting the ring on.  They just burn up and turn to ash during your first cook.

When I lifted my KJ II from the ground up into a built in kitchen, I ran a ratchet strap through the ash tray opening and out the top vent opening.  This secured the top an bottom together and could be used as a lifting grip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 2:32 PM, Team PCBeach said:

Saw a great tip from @Smokingdadbbq about putting some wads of paper towels behind the firebox plates to line them up when putting the ring on.  They just burn up and turn to ash during your first cook.

When I lifted my KJ II from the ground up into a built in kitchen, I ran a ratchet strap through the ash tray opening and out the top vent opening.  This secured the top an bottom together and could be used as a lifting grip.

Glad that trick helped