Hello from San Diego

PHEAD

I bought a Kamado Joe Classic 1 from Lowes last week. I pick it up tomorrow (hopefully)

They had the Classic 2 on clearance also, but they were all sold out. So I just stuck with the 1. More reason to grab a Big Joe 3 in the future B)

I had Webers for years, my last kettle was over 8 years old and I decided I wanted something new. I was looking at the Akorn at first, but after watching @Smokingdadbbq videos on youtube, I was sold on the Kamado Joe.

Cant wait to get to grilling. And eventually building a table for it.

Classic or Classic II the main thing  is you have a Kamado Hope you checked in and read John's Kamado book lots of good stuff there. Also you and Bob should look at Johns video recipe site. Hope all your cooks are good looking forward to pics of them. I had a great time in San Diego for the year i went to school in the military lot of nice people and ocean.  

Welcome to another San Diegan!   Difficult to find quality lump charcoal here, so I take a couple of pallets of cooking coal from CalChar in L.A. shipped here.  If you want a few bags on my next order ( I'm down to 5 bags, should last a bit), let me know!   chip@sandiegoproperties.us 

these grills are pretty hard to find. after i wasted time at costco for the non existent road show. i called like 10 bbq places, nothing in stock.

one place had 2. one with the cart and one with just the feet. someone called right before i did and said he was on the way to get that complete one, so i just took the built in and will buy the cart on amazon. until i get around to building a table for it.

ill post up some pics later today.

but MISSION COMPLETE finally!!!

Those gaps in the fire box pieces were really bugging me. I kept ####ing with the pieces trying to close up the gaps and chipped a bit of the corner of one of them. 

but I’m guessing the gaps are normal. 

im also not digging my joe being on the ground, so a new table is on my to do list. 

I just lit a fire to burn off all the styrofoam smell. And to check for leaks. Everything is good. 

I also noticed a bunch of spots where the glaze didn’t fill in. But they are small. I can hit them with a pen. 

im exited to finally get to grilling tomorrow. 

F5ABF656-2442-4BBF-A094-FD07A83B7365.jpeg

85B5CAF7-7275-4795-915B-557E43928D51.jpeg

FA3DAA8A-A6B9-46D3-BE0A-E3DB22CD8F49.jpeg

On 8/19/2020 at 11:35 AM, MtbChip said:

Welcome to another San Diegan!   Difficult to find quality lump charcoal here, so I take a couple of pallets of cooking coal from CalChar in L.A. shipped here.  If you want a few bags on my next order ( I'm down to 5 bags, should last a bit), let me know!   chip@sandiegoproperties.us 

I've been buying charcoal from CalChar since the 1980s.  They used to be in a different location, but moved to the present location years ago... I'm on the OC/LA County line, and used to drive by there place quit often... Good stuff... And welcome to the forum, from another new member. 

Butch

8 hours ago, PHEAD said:

Those gaps in the fire box pieces were really bugging me. I kept ####ing with the pieces trying to close up the gaps and chipped a bit of the corner of one of them. 

but I’m guessing the gaps are normal. 

The gaps are normal. They are designed so that the firebox can expand without cracking.

I never posted a pic of my first cook. 

I did a tritip since I cook that all the time. 

I also did up @John Setzler whiskey reduction. 

it was getting gobbled up as fast as I was cutting it, so no pic of the finished product. 

yesterday I did up some tenders. With hot honey. And some with a ghost pepper rub. 
they looked better in person. And taste great. 

9EFF797B-74EB-45EF-9281-9E6BC31D0D8E.jpeg

A50A3E9B-95FC-4852-8D89-1F3F2B32C722.jpeg