Build quality issues with the Big Joe 3

Hi everyone!

After many months of waiting I received my new Big Joe 3.  Unfortunately I'm not sure if I have a faulty one or not.  The issues are:

1) There are glaze issues all over  the lid where it looks like it hasn't glazed properly

2) The entire firebox and grills rock whenever I touch the grill like when I'm flipping a burger

3) The top vent feels like it's about to fall off the lid when I open it fully

I was wondering if all this is normal.  Looking at you tube videos of the Joe (and I've seen many in the run up to delivery!) they don't seem to be.

The shop I've bought it from seems very reasonable.  When they brought the issues up with the Kamado Joe rep, the rep was only prepared to offer me a glaze pen to paint over the glaze issues and a free cast iron grill (which I don't need). 

I've attached some pics.  Any advice would be amazing

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-19 at 13.36.32.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-19 at 13.36.53.jpeg

@UK Joe

That's unfortunate Joe... I wouldn't be happy with that either.  There are fixes available for each of these problems.  I would get that glaze pen and go ahead with the touch ups.  The Kontrol Tower top vent needs gasket material (or more of it) on the chimney to hold that vent in place properly.  Yours is going to fall off most likely when you open the dome lid.  The firebox rocking indicates one of two things.  Either the base of your grill is convex or the bottom fire ring assembly is not flat.  You will need to disassemble that and check the bottom fire ring on a flat surface and see if it's flat or not.  If it IS flat, you will need to put it back inside the grill and see which direction the base of the grill is bowed and add one or two pieces of felt gasket material to the bottom side of that ring to make it sit firm where it won't rock like that.

I think it's unfortunate that a PREMIUM priced grill arrives with this many quality control issues.  Kamado Joe SHOULD provide you with the gasket material you need to fix the Kontrol Tower AND the base fire ring.

Imagine if you bought a new car and found it full of paint defects, or a bent frame. Would you accept a touch-up pen and some shims to jam between the frame and the body? I think not. I don't know how that got through QC.

Mine is delivering this week; I sure hope I don't have to deal with this.

I wouldn't be happy with that given the price point of the BJ3

While I wouldn't go so far as to request a new one, I'd expect a hell of a lot more than a CI surface and a paint pen in order to make it right 

Especially when you consider you will likely also have the "normal" peeling issue on your top vent and SloRoller over the next few months 

I got mine last week and put it together on Saturday. I am happy to report everything is perfect on it.

As far as this paint peeling issue I am not buying it. You can put header paint on an exhaust header on a car engine, it will last.

My Akorn has been heated up real real hot over the years

Paint is still fine on it

Hi there, I,m having the same problems with my Big Joe III. Kamado Joe customer call center is closed due to covid.:sad:

My grill is not even 3 weeks old and my gasket is falling off!!!

For a high end almost $4000 Cdn. Not very happy

IMG_3079.jpg

10 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

It almost seems like some manufacturer’s sales are growing faster than than their factory QC can support...

In addition, it also looks like there has been a big change in issues of several types since the sale of the company. Not the first time that has happened.

20 hours ago, Sergio G said:

Hi there, I,m having the same problems with my Big Joe III. Kamado Joe customer call center is closed due to covid.:sad:

My grill is not even 3 weeks old and my gasket is falling off!!!

For a high end almost $4000 Cdn. Not very happy

IMG_3079.jpg

Same thing mine did.  It started drifting in towards the center and now it is about 2/3's off.  On mine I'd bet $100 that they just cut the gasket a little too short. Because as I try to center the old loose gasket it is not big enough to stress over there perimeter.   At least your felt stayed attached around the rim.  Mine is all torn off and stuck to the falling off mesh gasket.  They did send me a replacement gasket kit with 2 gaskets.  I've been putting off installing the new gasket as I don't know whether to use that copper gasket goop or just go bare back and use the adhesive on the mesh gasket. I will use some acetone to wipe the ceramic down after I rip off all the old felt.  Until I make up my mind I'll stay in LaLa land....

IMG_3981.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 5:25 AM, Dogstar said:

I'm sure you contacted the dealer who sold it to you.  What did they say?

The dealer was really good, however the rep was not keen to resolve the problem.  Thankfully Kamado Joe HQ in the UK reached out to me (thank you John and Kamado Guru!) and within a week they send some guys over to take away my old one and build me a new one, which they thoroughly checked before leaving.  I couldn't have asked for better service!