Cooking Pizza

Breylek

I am trying to find out what is the best way to cook pizza. I love napoletana pizza. Crisp top and bottom I see that some use stone with a gap? I don’t think that that will give a good bottom. What is the best temp to cook pizza? There is a dojoe but the cost is high. What have people found to give the best pizza. 

Lots of posts on here about pizza.  And if you don't use another stone with gap, you will burn the crust before the top is even done.  I cook mine about 550-600 and have a crust that is beyond anything I've had commercially.  You'll just have to try a few and see what gives you the results you're looking for.  

No personal knowledge but from reading stuff here and there, the hotter the better.

Me? I cook in an electric oven at 450 with parchment paper under the pies on pizza stones that were preheated for an hour.

Sometimes we make our own dough but when lazy we buy frozen dough balls at the grocery store.

Free tip to making the dough round..place a bowl of near boiling water under an upside down steel mixing bowl coated with olive oil and spread the dough ball out over the dome pressing it down gently until you get the diameter and thickness you want.

I put the grate in the highest position, put the heat deflectors on top of that, then I have some ceramic spacers about an inch high and finally the pizza stone on top of that. Basically, I am trying to get  the pizza up as high inside the dome as possible.

For Neapolitan (or at least "Nearlypolitan") I normally use a 63% hydration dough. Cooks are between 90 seconds and 3 minutes depending on how many pizzas have been cooked already and how many times the dome has been opened. Over 800F.

IMG_3962_heic-XL.jpg

I am actually going to try lower heat, more kind of NT style next time I do Pizza. Same setup, but probably around 500-550F and with a 70% hydration dough. My reasoning is that when you are cooking at 800+F, things are happening so quickly that I am just putting pies in, turning them around and taking them out - with not enough tike to actually eat the pizza.

I figure if I can get a good pie at 500F with a 5-7 minute cook time, pizza night will be a bit more relaxed for me!

14 hours ago, adm said:

I put the grate in the highest position, put the heat deflectors on top of that, then I have some ceramic spacers about an inch high and finally the pizza stone on top of that. Basically, I am trying to get  the pizza up as high inside the dome as possible.

For Neapolitan (or at least "Nearlypolitan") I normally use a 63% hydration dough. Cooks are between 90 seconds and 3 minutes depending on how many pizzas have been cooked already and how many times the dome has been opened. Over 800F.

IMG_3962_heic-XL.jpg

I am actually going to try lower heat, more kind of NT style next time I do Pizza. Same setup, but probably around 500-550F and with a 70% hydration dough. My reasoning is that when you are cooking at 800+F, things are happening so quickly that I am just putting pies in, turning them around and taking them out - with not enough tike to actually eat the pizza.

I figure if I can get a good pie at 500F with a 5-7 minute cook time, pizza night will be a bit more relaxed for me!

So what is the best way to get the high temps? 500 and above? My grill is on its way be here on Monday. Can’t wait to get started. I just sold my treager stepping to the real wood cooking and smoking. 
thanks for the help

9 hours ago, Breylek said:

So what is the best way to get the high temps? 500 and above? My grill is on its way be here on Monday. Can’t wait to get started. I just sold my treager stepping to the real wood cooking and smoking. 
thanks for the help

Well.....first off, good quality lump wood charcoal and plenty of it in the fire basket. Then light it in a few places and leave the vents wide open.

500 is easy to achieve. If you leave it unattended you will be at 900 real fast. Just beware that at super high temperature you may run the risk of damaging your gasket.

There's a sticky somewhere where John shows how to get hot fast....

At very high temperature, the coal will burn out fast. I have managed to cook 8 pizzas on a full load and could have certainly got 10 or more. It's just a trade off - the amount of heat you want vs the amount of time you want it for!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 4:21 PM, BURGER MEISTER said:

Lots of posts on here about pizza.  And if you don't use another stone with gap, you will burn the crust before the top is even done.  I cook mine about 550-600 and have a crust that is beyond anything I've had commercially.  You'll just have to try a few and see what gives you the results you're looking for.  

I've not had this experience.  My pizza stone is directly on my grate, grate temp is about 550 and 9 minutes is my average cook time.  This was one of the three I cooked last night.

Now, I only have a Chargirller Akorn, so not a true Kamado, but this has been my experience.

IMG_20200830_171606.jpg