JOEtisserie Chicken

Another very enjoyable video John thank you. Just out of curiosity is there any reason why you placed your chicken horizontal instead of vertical? I actually put the chicken on the  spit the same way you have it. I've just seen more and more people put it horizontal. Any benefit to either way? Just curious.

Edited by Ron5850

3 hours ago, Ron5850 said:

Another very enjoyable video John thank you. Just out of curiosity is there any reason why you placed your chicken horizontal instead of vertical? I actually put the chicken on the  spit the same way you have it. I've just seen more and more people put it horizontal. Any benefit to either way? Just curious.

Running the spit through the short axis of the bird does a lot of damage to the meat.  You have a natural cavity to run it through this way.

Hi John couple quick questions...Any time I use the JOEtisserie I always put the bird directly over the coals with the lid closed and don't use a divider.  This tends to cause a decent amount smoke because of the drippings going directly onto the fire but I always have a great crispy skin without over cooking the meat.  Do you have any issues with controlling the temps if your cooking the entire time with the lid open?  Also do you see any benefits to using the firebox slitter rather than a full basket of coals directly under the bird?  Thanks again for all the tips!

Nice video John!  I know you've mentioned this somewhere else before but where did you get that motor/what brand and model is it?  Also, do you have additional rotisserie forks?  I've been looking for a second set and have been having a hard time finding some that fit.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2020 at 9:13 AM, John Setzler said:

I love cooking with the lid open on the JOEtisserie.  In this video I show you how to add smoke via a wood chunk and/or via an herb packet to a cook like this.....

I’m going to do this today for my first cook on my new II. What was the approximate cooking time, John?