First Cook...KISS Spatchcock Chicken

I just got my Big Joe III yesterday. We have plans to grill some steaks tomorrow, but I couldn't wait. So, I grabbed a 5 lb chicken and did a lot of reading. 400 degrees for about an hour got me pretty much the best chicken I've ever had.

I rubbed it in olive oil and some all purpose rub I picked up at Bass Pro Shops. Nothing fancy; just wanted to try out the new rig.

9Y3yBPbQUwyaZpKKvMwFjs9q7Rarf_AJ11zBlFDPDz-stGMvC7nJD56Ti7SO15twDXa-wU03bml_5Zd9cEn6-pf7RDbNOqqVOvexXHpVVK8-1gu0ZBSxnEDki-gAyefz4fI-M3Az1FHIEXUsVbfIOVkHooKk_JccvbfsH0xVIi0JMIk1ZUnAKIyvd_0HHpfeHLqlSO9doz1KkeSyPrOSiElixLkXk8ZSU_tFLPXakK5_k5I8oeYFhfvK7dStxq_B3VCcUTjWNesETBptq4jNk6HC57JcQ-TUKk74ZpB96MujIP2YUoch30FNSM_6OofKGO6PKf5XFEblwKOyj6THoGyCmIk3U7ZNzVwPXmLTyEz4UHK7_qwbejrAtIkUG-nXWzRndNv-G3BtRdK6l-8ihzXIe4kdBSw_jWZFkGbITtfOiMWzByc4XaKaHAAtz30IQhF7W9ZA7hWtspD8iAPPkTpYHTYEY1MoWIH4xrlVzX8g33yVchR0SHSOgc5xFPbU57w-3-N5hS_0_M4SehLi4YDDNwK-b-6DkIfXCtb2UyrHiV6textPgLYrSLQwZV5w3r4Ujy8gToWpZj5UVIXcNhd6V5WN4C4xALRd2gVX_4oa0AmY8w25Rdrxna1ESB8NZHV7R-Cwf6tPk7cC7dD1aRqtq_YJZTaN8_u8omBKx3YSaMMJnehdr0lpv3bDsj8=w816-h1088-no?authuser=0

That is pretty well my go-to cook too.   Though I tend to cook at a little higher temp:  450-500.  I find it produces a crispier skin.

Nice coating of olive oil and heavy coating of rub on both sides, and just some tinfoil on the rack underneath to catch drippings...

3 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

That is pretty well my go-to cook too.   Though I tend to cook at a little higher temp:  450-500.  I find it produces a crispier skin.

Nice coating of olive oil and heavy coating of rub on both sides, and just some tinfoil on the rack underneath to catch drippings...

I was thinking that same thing, that the skin on top could have been a bit more crisp. Underneath was nice & crunchy. Otherwise, the chicken was super moist and tasted great.

I cooked mine straight on the grates.