Jump to content

New Big Joe, Some Concerns


jtemple
 Share

Recommended Posts

I bought my from bbqguys.com and was really happy with the purchase experience. They sent weekly updates on shipment status, which was great.

 

I sent these photos/video off to them to see what they thought about some of the issues I found with mine.

 

These things are problems, but nothing I'm going to worry about all that much.

 

  1. The box containing the cart was crushed. Surprisingly, everything was intact structurally, but the casters had came out of their internal box and bounced around inside, scratching up the cart.
  2. One of the firebox pieces had a corner broken off. The corner was nowhere to be found in the packaging, so I believe it was boxed up that way.
  3. The base has a small chip in it.
  4. There is some sort of glazing flaw on the side of the base.

 

None of the above feel like they'd impact the cooking ability or the longevity of the grill, so no big deal. Now, the stuff that bothers me.

 

  1. The vent cap isn't as snug on top as I think it should be, causing it to tip when I swing the cap open. See video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nin2MRtCS6UHs45e7
  2. I found some cracking/crumbling just under the gasket on the latch side.

 

What do you guys think? It's a large purchase and I expect this thing to outlive me, so I want it to be right. I have sent all this stuff over to bbqguys.com to see what they say. What, if any of this stuff would you think would have to be addressed right away? The crack under the gasket is the most concerning; I'm not real keen on the idea of having to replace the base on a brand new grill.

 

 

stand.jpg

firebox.jpg

base chip.jpg

glazing flaw.jpg

crack under gasket.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow!  I thought I had issues...  Hopefully, BBQ Guys will make it right.

 

I got mine from a "new" dealer and he continues to send me to KJ.  He's a nice guy but he

doesn't know how to deal with problems.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My new one came without the firebox included...  I had the same issue that 2 of the castors came loose in shipping, but no other issues that I can see.

 

ATBBQ and KJ Cust service dealt with it right away and I should have the part today.  Really great service from both of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2020 at 7:59 PM, BURGER MEISTER said:

I believe that would be going back to BBQ guys.  That fissure next to the latch is going to give you grief sooner than later. The rest is just paint touch-ups, and the corner chip won't hurt at all.

 

I'm laughing at this only because every single person I have said that to opts to go through KJ Customer Service instead adding weeks to the resolution of their issue. So, while it is great, great advice, I'm skeptical at this point... :-D:-D:-D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

 

I'm laughing at this only because every single person I have said that to opts to go through KJ Customer Service instead adding weeks to the resolution of their issue. So, while it is great, great advice, I'm skeptical at this point... :-D:-D:-D

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are saying.  Are you saying we shouldn't go through KJ Customer

Service?

 

 

Please help me understand.  Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gebo said:

I'm starting to understand you can't easily return a KJ. I'm glad I purchased mine from a local dealer.  If things

get really bad, I know a person I can go to and look him in the eye.  My KJ dealer.

That was my first choice as well, but the local dealer was not responding to my queries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2020 at 9:19 AM, Gebo said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are saying.  Are you saying we shouldn't go through KJ Customer

Service?

 

 

Please help me understand.  Thanks!

 

Not at all. I am saying that for 3rd party purchases, i.e., purchasing a KJ from other than KJ– the first point of contact for me on a damaged delivery would always be that third party. That is no a warranty issue, it is a sales issue. That is a sale that i can and would be willing to terminate if satisfaction isn't reached in a very timely fashion.

 

On 8/26/2020 at 9:18 AM, Gebo said:

I'm starting to understand you can't easily return a KJ. I'm glad I purchased mine from a local dealer.  If things

get really bad, I know a person I can go to and look him in the eye.  My KJ dealer.

 

Perhaps it's the years I spent working retail but, I don't see reboxing or returning a KJ as any real challenge. As a matter of fact returning would be the least of my worries- a nice little stop payment would get their attention fairly quickly if they won't pick up the phone.

 

I think I would be surrendering too much leverage by going through KJ initially...

Edited by CentralTexBBQ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2020 at 7:23 AM, jtemple said:

That was my first choice as well, but the local dealer was not responding to my queries.

 

Not sure I understand.  You say he's your local dealer?  Should be no "queries" involved in a face to face.  Either he won't address your issues, or he gets the item back forthwith.  Then you issue a stop payment like the gentleman from Texas said.  I've only had to do that one time and when I went to the bank I was astounded as to how easy it was.  In this day and age, actually anytime, people "gotta grow a pair":-D

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

 

Not sure I understand.  You say he's your local dealer?  Should be no "queries" involved in a face to face.  Either he won't address your issues, or he gets the item back forthwith.  Then you issue a stop payment like the gentleman from Texas said.  I've only had to do that one time and when I went to the bank I was astounded as to how easy it was.  In this day and age, actually anytime, people "gotta grow a pair":-D

 

I attempted to call a local dealer and they didn't answer the phone. So, I sent the local dealer an email that they didn't answer. So, I gave up on the local dealer and went to BBQGuys.com, who shipped me the grill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...