Which Lump You Use?

Gebo

This may  be beating a dying horse but I am wondering if I am "wasting" money buying a "premium" charcoal?

I apologize if this post makes you break out in hives.  Please read no more.

I really am curious what lump you guys use.  I have seen the charts and the YouTubes and all that.

What I want is what you use.

Lump for many is a personally choice and local availability.   If you're happy with your current lump, keep buying and using it. 

If you're truly unsure, buy a few different brands, use them, and decide if you like it.

With all that being said,  Royal Oak has been my go to for about 5 year,   Home Depot usually has it here in NoVa (Centreville, Manassas for me)   This year I ran out of RO lump and picked up 200 lbs of B&B and very happy with it. 2 of 3 bags were close to KJ Big Lump size the 3rd bag was on the medium small side, and still burned just fine.   Occasional when Costco has KJ Big Lump, I will pick up 5 or so bags.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mostly KJ Big Block because I can get a really good deal on it at Costco roadshows.  I have had some bags better than others regarding lump size, number of "crumbs" and I have even had a couple bags that had a strange solvent smell when I first lit it.  When FOGO had a sale last Black Friday, I bought a couple bags of the black bag and yellow bag (premium I think), and that is probably my favorite.  Good consistent sized chunks, very few crumbs and it gets to temperature quicker (I use one fire-starter in the middle of the lump pile), and a more neutral aroma than KJ. Down side is the price, so I buy a couple bags when I see it on sale.  I have used one bag of cowboy, smokey, sparky, and probably had as many rocks in it as it did large pieces of charcoal.  My stock is pretty low right now, and I think I may give RO a shot, I have heard mixed reviews, so I figured I would see for myself.

I am cheap, cheap, cheap when it comes to lump. I purchase whatever I can buy for around $0.50/lb. I've used Royal Oak, Western, B&B, El Diablo, Cowboy, and Lazzari as well as some other that I have probably forgotten. I usually purchase a few hundred pounds at a time when I find a deal. Currently I am using Lazzari because it can be had any day of the week for less than $0.50/lb at Cash and Carry. Royal Oak is almost always available from my local Walmart and will run $0.50 to $0.60/lb depending on which size bag you buy.

Yes, all the different lumps have different characteristics. I think most of the brands that I have purchased are either mesquite or oak. With that being said, I don't think there is enough of a difference between the ones that I have used to buy one brand over the other. 

Edited by EZ smoke

I use KJ Big Block in my Joe's and Best of the West Lump from Sam's Club in my MB 560.  KJ Big Block gives me consistent temps. - with or without my iKamand.  My 560 is nicknamed "Lump Hog" for a reason and I use Best of the West Lump at $9.98 / 20 lbs in it.  I don't think about temp consistency in the 560 because it's built in controller is spot on.

Agree with the Royal Oak talk...not expensive...and has worked well for me.

Trying some B&B Hickory today on some chicken and a turkey breast.  Chunks were noticeably larger than that of the Royal Oak.

Only one Ive tried so far that I will avoid if possible is cowboy...maybe it was not a great bag...but by comparison the chunks were smaller and way more of the pebble sized stuff.

On 8/26/2020 at 7:59 PM, prowe said:

These are my two faves.

I like wicked good  as well, 

Haven’t had luck with Wicked Good.  It seemed to pop a lot for me.  Burnt my favorite shirt and haven’t gone back since.  It’s been 2 years since I’ve tried it though, so maybe it improved.

My usual go to brand has been KJBB. I like everything about it except the price :), but I still buy it. I don't mind the big pieces, sometimes I use them as is, other times I break them up. But overall I like that there is not a lot of small pieces and waste at the end of the bag. Burns well.

A few others I've tried:

Three bags of FOGO Black. More smaller pieces, and by far the sparkiest lump I've burned, it was like fireworks. Very pretty. Unlikely to buy again, but might be willing to try some of their other products.

Several bags of RO. More small stuff, and the last two bags seemed to be 50% oak flooring remnants. More waste at the end of the bag. Would buy again for the price, but its not my first choice.

Have recently tried some Vision Grills mesquite lump. So far, not a fan. The lump size and quality is good, but I'm not too keen on the smoke flavor from it. Unlikely to buy again.

I have some B&B Oak lump that I've not tried yet. I have three bags so I hope I like it!