Royal Oak $12.99 a bag at Home Depot for large bag of lump. I’ve found lately more large pieces than previously. In the past sometimes on sale at Wally World for $5 a bag. Ah, the good old days!

On 8/28/2020 at 7:18 PM, dman said:

Royal Oak $12.99 a bag at Home Depot for large bag of lump. I’ve found lately more large pieces than previously. In the past sometimes on sale at Wally World for $5 a bag. Ah, the good old days!

I was actually just about to post that I just opened up a new bag of RO and there was considerably more large chunks in there.  I really like it, especially for high heat cooks.  Have always been a KJ BB for low and slow overnight cooks.

• 4 weeks later...

Can’t find RO near me right now.  Grabbed some Wicked Good and have been very impressed so far.  My expectations  were low but I needed something.  Fast light, high heat, low ash, and long burn.   I think I’ll stock up for the winter!

On 8/26/2020 at 10:22 AM, John Setzler said:

Royal Oak.

Interesting.  Out of all charcoal is that your #1 choice?  All the briquettes I've tried seem to smoke and create a lot of ash.  I find that natural lump seems to burn cleaner, but I admit I've not tried RO.

For grilling I use some of the off the shelf product from the hardware or grocery store.  With the pandemic, supplies have been extremely hard to come across in this region.  

For more controlled temperatures, I have been using nothing but the Fogo Super Premium.  

3 hours ago, DonBB said:

Interesting.  Out of all charcoal is that your #1 choice?  All the briquettes I've tried seem to smoke and create a lot of ash.  I find that natural lump seems to burn cleaner, but I admit I've not tried RO.

We weren't talking about briquettes I didn't think.. and yes... Royal Oak lump charcoal is my choice of lump charcoal.

21 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

We weren't talking about briquettes I didn't think.. and yes... Royal Oak lump charcoal is my choice of lump charcoal.

Ah, missed that part entirely.  I didn't realize they made lump.  Will check it out.

I've been using Fogo super premium (gold bag) for the last year or so.  I really like it, however, the pieces are ridiculously large.  I spend about ten minutes before every cook breaking up pieces.  I keep a dull hatchet around to break it up into manageable size chunks.  I will check out the RO if I can find it around me.  

Occasionally I'll stock up on the KJ when there's a Roadshow in my area, but otherwise I'm a RO guy. I don't notice much of a difference in flavor between the two, but my personal perception has been that the RO burns hotter and faster than the KJ. But John Setzler's comparison experiments in the recent past showed that this is actually not the case. Which is good, because RO is cheaper and much more readily available to me.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:07 AM, grill seeker said:

I've been using Fogo super premium (gold bag) for the last year or so.  I really like it, however, the pieces are ridiculously large.  I spend about ten minutes before every cook breaking up pieces.  I keep a dull hatchet around to break it up into manageable size chunks.  I will check out the RO if I can find it around me.  

if you are breaking up the large chunks then you are wasting your money on the Super Premium.  Buy the black bag and you will save money whilst getting slightly smaller pieces. Win, win!