I have a KJ 3 classic. Not sure how to install the fireboard fan...does it require the adapter plate? Does it go in the slides or in the grill. It doesn’t seem to be a great fit

Edited by Daver
Detail

The adaptor plate fits to the front of the fan. Loosen the screws on the side of the fan, remove one of the slide bars, fit the adaptor plate with the slide bars through it, pull tight to the end of the fan and tighten the screws.

It should then slide into the tracks on your bottom vent. It might not be a perfect fit, but just slide the draft door closed over the adaptor plate (might require a little wiggle) and you should be good.

Horizontally, you will get a really good fit. Vertically, you might be a little off but that's going to be due to different size bottom vents on different Kamado models. It does not need to be perfect.

Worst case, you or a local shop can make up an exactly sized adaptor plate for your Kamado for a few bucks. Just measure twice and cut once....

1 hour ago, adm said:

It should then slide into the tracks on your bottom vent. It might not be a perfect fit, but just slide the draft door closed over the adaptor plate (might require a little wiggle) and you should be good.

Do you actually have one of these and have it in the tracks on your grill?

On 8/26/2020 at 10:14 PM, John Setzler said:

Do you actually have one of these and have it in the tracks on your grill?

Yes I do.

As I said before, a couple more mm in height would be perfect for the Monolith tracks, but it works great as is.

Let me know if you want some pics. It's dark outside now, so would need to be tomorrow.

2 hours ago, adm said:

Yes I do.

As I said before, a couple more mm in height would be perfect for the Monolith tracks, but it works great as is.

Let me know if you want some pics. It's dark outside now, so would need to be tomorrow.

Sorry.  I thought you were using a kamado joe.