Setzler's Charcoal Comparison

• 4 weeks later...

Royal oak red is by far the best charcoal I have used.  I don’t care about the size of it as it burns clean and smells great. With the US border shut down I haven’t stocked up.  

my equally favourite Canadian brand is Maple leaf lump. Someone on the forum let me know that they are back up and running after a factory fire shut them down for two years.  

me I have tried about every brand you can imagine.  These are my go to bags all day everyday 

6 hours ago, bosco said:

Royal oak red is by far the best charcoal I have used.  I don’t care about the size of it as it burns clean and smells great. With the US border shut down I haven’t stocked up.  

my equally favourite Canadian brand is Maple leaf lump. Someone on the forum let me know that they are back up and running after a factory fire shut them down for two years.  

me I have tried about every brand you can imagine.  These are my go to bags all day everyday 

Same, always used RO and John's review proved I was on the right track. No point wasting money on inferior lump. I hope the borders open up again soon, I need to make a trip up to Montreal to see some friends and you all need to buy some good old lump down here!

@bosco - was thinking of you last week whilst at DiPietro’s.  The Maple Leaf is $17.69 for 4kg and the Xylo is $24.99 for 8kg.  The two Maple Leaf appear to be the same product (same SKU) and the Xylo is the lump product, not the block.  I do plan on asking to get some block.  Per the website, it appears to be more for smoking.

B62EFD82-B26C-46DB-A789-6E77B4ED6785.jpeg

32AC9364-DC02-4617-A025-638D0D9E2E66.jpeg

5F6372BF-3FC7-4F98-93A2-2F159BE51CAD.jpeg

I did a similar test comparing Fogo Super Premium to Canadian Royal Oak and got similar results.  Yes, the Fogo did burn a little bit cleaner and it was more dense but in my mind it wasn’t worth over twice the price.

Another thing I noticed was the weight of the Fogo bag was bad on and the the weight of the Royal Oak bag was over by more then a pound of what it stated.  I then weighed several other bags of RO that I had and found similar results.  I guess that accounts for the odd rock.  

• 4 months later...
On 9/15/2020 at 11:41 PM, Deadeye said:

Thank you John for sharing your data, and I'm glad RO did so well in your tests...because I have a ton of it in my garage. I am relatively new to kamado cooking but my research of multiple tests did indicate RO is one of the better values in charcoal and it is good to see new tests confirm this. B&B is another value brand I've read good reviews on and would be interested in seeing it in your testing.  

I just bought a bag of the B&B (the only thing Lowes had) and it was mostly itty bitty pieces!  :cry:

2 hours ago, A.O. said:

I just bought a bag of the B&B (the only thing Lowes had) and it was mostly itty bitty pieces!  :cry:

Wonder how much of that is caused by stock people that don't give a $#!# about how they handle it when moving it around. 

13 minutes ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Wonder how much of that is caused by stock people that don't give a $#!# about how they handle it when moving it around. 

It was actually on a pallet so I’m not sure how much that played into it.

20 hours ago, A.O. said:

I have started using B&B Competition Chef Texas size that I get at my local Ace Hardware. The pieces are large and burn hot.

22 hours ago, A.O. said:

19 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

19 hours ago, A.O. said:

It was actually on a pallet so I’m not sure how much that played into it.

Having spent decades in transportation. I can assure you that probably 95% is due to handling- either in transit, in storage or in restocking. So, whether they are stacking pallets on the truck, in the warehouse area to save space or transferring from a depleted pallet, most of the dust, chips etc. is coming from that.

1 hour ago, Golf Griller said:

I have started using B&B Competition Chef Texas size that I get at my local Ace Hardware. The pieces are large and burn hot.

I have been using B&B almost exclusively since there haven't been any roadshows in the area to restock my KJ Big Block. Trying to save the KJ for my brisket cooks. I haven't seen that but, I'll have to check for it the next time I'm in Ace.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, jark87 said:

Bought some Royal Oak for the first time and all I can say is “back to the Jealous Devil!” Very disappointing.

image.thumb.jpeg.fa793311e9b348ee17d9199bca61b2ad.jpeg

Absolutely.  If you need big chunks of charcoal to cook, you should be buying Fogo Super Premium.  Its huge.  And its' consistently huge.  If you want something that burns hotter and longer, stick with the royal oak.