Setzler's Charcoal Comparison

6 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Absolutely.  If you need big chunks of charcoal to cook, you should be buying Fogo Super Premium.  Its huge.  And its' consistently huge.  If you want something that burns hotter and longer, stick with the royal oak.

Most of the RO falls through my charcoal basket it is so small.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

If you want something that burns hotter and longer, stick with the royal oak.

Yeah - I hope I wasn’t too quick to judge just based on the broken bits vs lump. My one cook today probably isn’t enough to draw a conclusion. I was trying the small fire, fully open vent method to try and get crispy skin on chicken thighs. With the vents fully open, temp maxed out at 450° and the fire only burned for a couple of hours, but really not a good test.

48 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

You will occasionally find bags like that.  Its not common.

Yeah, I probably wont try another bag of the RO…

I mainly use Fogo Super Premium.  I order it direct and it arrives quickly.  They have a "rewards" program where you earn points towards future purchases.  I did get a bag I felt had too many small pieces and they sent me a free replacement.  Very impressed.

Just for kicks I am trying the Kamado Joe Big Block and am impressed so far. Got a bag of BGE to try next.  I have tried most of the others mentioned here and was not pleased.

It seems I always go back to Fogo.

38 minutes ago, Gebo said:

I mainly use Fogo Super Premium.  I order it direct and it arrives quickly.  They have a "rewards" program where you earn points towards future purchases.  I did get a bag I felt had too many small pieces and they sent me a free replacement.  Very impressed.

Just for kicks I am trying the Kamado Joe Big Block and am impressed so far. Got a bag of BGE to try next.  I have tried most of the others mentioned here and was not pleased.

It seems I always go back to Fogo.

And where do you order this Fogo from?

17 hours ago, A.O. said:

Yeah, I probably wont try another bag of the RO…

I have used Ro for more years than i want to admit too. Most of the time it's been fine. I did have 2 bags a year or so ago, that were crumbs, since then I've haven't had any problems I also had a bag of crumbs from Rock Wood so their is no way of telling what's in the bag ( I'm a STRONG advocate of clear charcoal bags) . I wouldn't give up on a brand too soon. fortunately there are more good bags than bad. It just p****s me of when i get a bad bag  

1 hour ago, len440 said:

I have used Ro for more years than i want to admit too. Most of the time it's been fine. I did have 2 bags a year or so ago, that were crumbs, since then I've haven't had any problems I also had a bag of crumbs from Rock Wood so their is no way of telling what's in the bag ( I'm a STRONG advocate of clear charcoal bags) . I wouldn't give up on a brand too soon. fortunately there are more good bags than bad. It just p****s me of when i get a bad bag  

Yeah, I just dumped that bag of RO in my burn pile, kept trying it but it was just too fine to use. I WILL grope my bags from now on!

A.O.

I am not a Fogo fanboy but all I did was email them and a replacement bag was on the way the same day.  They also have quebracho.  

I'm a sucker for great service!

Edited by Gebo

12 hours ago, Gebo said:

A.O.

I am not a Fogo fanboy but all I did was email them and a replacement bag was on the way the same day.  They also have quebracho.  

I'm a sucker for 

Yeah, I was being sarcastuc

10 hours ago, Gebo said:

My wife is the first item that comes to mind.

I am assuming you are demonstrating a touch of sarcasm?  LOL

Yeah, I was being a bit of a wise guy.  Sometimes it just comes streaming out.   

I was disappointed in my recent purchase of Royal Oak, as the charcoal pieces were really small. Rather than toss it, I decided to mix it in with some Jealous Devil, which would hopefully prevent the RO from falling through the charcoal basket. Take a look at how the fire burned on a 10 hour cook. Almost looks like only the RO burned with most of the JD still fully intact. The good news is that it lasted 10 hours at 240°, but I thought the way it burned was weird. Maybe it won’t be as easy to mix them as I thought.

image.thumb.jpeg.866ba7b8bf43fcde006b9f5b1ee7f719.jpeg