Setzler's Charcoal Comparison

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ryan141 said:

I have bought RO on occasion from my local Home Depot.  Every single time over the past 10 years that I have purchased it I am disappointed.  So much so that I drove 40 mins to buy a few bags of KJ big block.  

what did you find disappointing about it?

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

Does that give you problems with the cooks somehow?

Well when you pour it in the charcoal basket and a lot of it ends up in the cleanout tray, I'd say that's a problem.

46 minutes ago, A.O. said:

Well when you pour it in the charcoal basket and a lot of it ends up in the cleanout tray, I'd say that's a problem.

Or if I need to wear a mask to prevent black nasal passages.   :-D

I’m still trying to figure out my RO. When I mixed it with Jealous Devil (40% RO, 60% JD), I had a steady low and slow cook for 10 hours. Interestingly, quite a few chunks of JD were leftover, some seemingly not burned at all. All RO was burned completely. I recently cooked some chicken thighs with 95% RO - only 1 or 2 chunks of JD at the bottom to prevent the small pieces of RO from being packed too tightly. This only burned for about 3 hours total, with the last hour or so just used for cleaning, which was high heat with vents wide open, because there wasn’t enough charcoal left to salvage anything. The RO seemed to burn really quickly, even before I opened up the vents.

I still have plenty of RO left in the bag, so I’ll keep experimenting with it.

When I was experimenting, the RO didn’t last long either.  I just used it up with my burgers and steaks.  I’m pretty picky and have settled on KJ and Fogo.  I’m done experimenting chasing the “perfect” charcoal.  

20 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I'm curious... what kind of problem did that cause?

Well lets see, you pay for a bag of LUMP charcoal and at least half the bag is bits and pieces and powder that is basically unusable.. seems like a problem to me, if you like it... you buy it, I will not again!

Oh yeah, and the mess of sorting through it to find the few useable pieces.

Don't understand what the complaining is all about If you don't like the charcoal don't buy it. I've had good bags of Royal Oak and not so good ,same with rockwood and b&b. Never had a bag I couldn't use. Best way to get the attention of the makers is with your wallet. 

In defense of AO, he was questioned and he was prodded.  What’s he supposed to do?  He simply answered the questions.  I betcha if the questions stop, he’ll stop. 

Some people love certain brands of charcoal to the point of being fan boys. I am of my 2 brands.  Some people accept inferior products.  Some don’t.