Setzler's Charcoal Comparison

6 hours ago, A.O. said:

Here again is what I am talking about. Kingsford Briquets looks like lump in comparison!!

That looks like a bin of hot asphalt, not charcoal!  I can see how a lot of that would end up in the lower bin instead of burning.  I recently opened my first bag of Xylo and experienced a similar situation.  I will dispose of that ultra fine chunks rather than wrestle with it.  I have a bag of KJ Big Block to use then I think it will be back to the Fogo Premium for me.

1 hour ago, Gebo said:

In defense of AO, he was questioned and he was prodded.  What’s he supposed to do?  He simply answered the questions.  I betcha if the questions stop, he’ll stop. 

Some people love certain brands of charcoal to the point of being fan boys. I am of my 2 brands.  Some people accept inferior products.  Some don’t.  

I am not a fan boy of any kind of charcoal.  I can cook with whatever is in front of me.  I'm also the only person on this site, short of @ckreef who has bothered to TEST charcoals with any amount of data collection and objectivity.  We aren't running around saying "mine burns longer or hotter" without some DATA to go along with the claim.  This was my only objective here.  I posted the DATA that I collected and let everyone else draw their own conclusions from it.  

I see these charcoal debates almost daily in my social media surfing.  I typically just bypass them because NONE of them, or the participants, have ever done anything like this.  But that's all fine too.  I like to use what I LIKE and I encourage everyone else to do the same.  That being said... I'll pass along some other advice...

You can't judge ANY brand of charcoal based on a few bags of experience with it.    And....

If you use one brand of charcoal long enough, you will always find occasional bags you aren't happy with.  I have seen THAT with every brand you can imagine.  It stinks... it is too small... it sparks too much... It burns too fast... 

And yes... I was PRODDING @A.O..  If you interpreted our exchange as something rude, vicious, or otherwise unpleasant for some reason, please let me know..  I'm not sure why it comes off that way to you.  It was not intended to be that way.  One of my main objectives in life is to encourage just a few people to believe that your charcoal doesn't make or break your cook.  If I am successful with that in just a few instances, I will die happy.  

8 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Yea.. that is uncharacteristic of the Royal Oak I get but I'd still cook with that.

I've bought 2 bags, they were both like that, I wont waste my time trying to sort, scavenge and cook with it, too many useable brands out there.

5 hours ago, Gebo said:

In defense of AO, he was questioned and he was prodded.  What’s he supposed to do?  He simply answered the questions.  I betcha if the questions stop, he’ll stop. 

Some people love certain brands of charcoal to the point of being fan boys. I am of my 2 brands.  Some people accept inferior products.  Some don’t.  

Yes, I have moved on and had forgotten all about this till it was brought up again (not by me) . On my second bag of the cheesy looking Expert Grill Lump at Walmart and it works great!

4 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I am not a fan boy of any kind of charcoal.  I can cook with whatever is in front of me.  I'm also the only person on this site, short of @ckreef who has bothered to TEST charcoals with any amount of data collection and objectivity.  We aren't running around saying "mine burns longer or hotter" without some DATA to go along with the claim.  This was my only objective here.  I posted the DATA that I collected and let everyone else draw their own conclusions from it.  

I see these charcoal debates almost daily in my social media surfing.  I typically just bypass them because NONE of them, or the participants, have ever done anything like this.  But that's all fine too.  I like to use what I LIKE and I encourage everyone else to do the same.  That being said... I'll pass along some other advice...

You can't judge ANY brand of charcoal based on a few bags of experience with it.    And....

If you use one brand of charcoal long enough, you will always find occasional bags you aren't happy with.  I have seen THAT with every brand you can imagine.  It stinks... it is too small... it sparks too much... It burns too fast... 

And yes... I was PRODDING @A.O. If you interpreted our exchange as something rude, vicious, or otherwise unpleasant for some reason, please let me know..  I'm not sure why it comes off that way to you.  It was not intended to be that way.  One of my main objectives in life is to encourage just a few people to believe that your charcoal doesn't make or break your cook.  If I am successful with that in just a few instances, I will die happy.  

I did not think anything of the like, was just a mere discussion. All I can go by is the two bags I have bought , both with the same poor results, you will excuse me if I dont go for three.

I've never understood why some people get their knickers in a knot over lump size

More to that point, if you are picky why not poke the bag before you buy it to ensure the contents have some size

Throwing the bag over your should usually gives you a good indication of how the contents are like 

I have not read about where the offending charcoal was bought and how much it was handled. (handling is probably what causes breakdown of lump).

Anyone know what the lump looks like leaving the original bag up and ship point? Compared that to what is seen after purchase?

Store return of what someone deems as unsatisfactory charcoal ever been done?

37 minutes ago, mike echo said:

I have not read about where the offending charcoal was bought and how much it was handled. (handling is probably what causes breakdown of lump).

Anyone know what the lump looks like leaving the original bag up and ship point? Compared that to what is seen after purchase?

Store return of what someone deems as unsatisfactory charcoal ever been done?

The offending bags I bought I believe were bought at Lowes, but could have been Home Depot.. not positive sorry.

When I first started with my Big Joe, I tried out many different charcoals.  Over the years I have found in my area (SE Virginia) Home Depot RO and Kamado Joe Big Block from Lowes are the most consistent.  

In all of this discussion about charcoal, I have not seen Coconut Charcoal mentioned.  This is a charcoal I have never tried, and was curious if anyone has, and how they fared?   Is it worth the cost (2-2.50 /lb)?

23 minutes ago, cwhuling said:

When I first started with my Big Joe, I tried out many different charcoals.  Over the years I have found in my area (SE Virginia) Home Depot RO and Kamado Joe Big Block from Lowes are the most consistent.  

In all of this discussion about charcoal, I have not seen Coconut Charcoal mentioned.  This is a charcoal I have never tried, and was curious if anyone has, and how they fared?   Is it worth the cost (2-2.50 /lb)?

I have used it once.  One of the advantages it has is the same as an advantage of royal oak and rockwood... it's clean burning and it doesn't put off any flavor of its own.  Its actually a MUCH CLEANER burning coal than rockwood or royal oak.  This is a coal I would recommend for baking and any other grill task where you want to minimize smoke flavor.  As for worth it?  "worth" is up to the buyer.