Setzler's Charcoal Comparison

38 minutes ago, len440 said:

This is why I'm a big pusher of clear plastic bag for charcoal

Can you imagine how much excellent charcoal would be reduced to rubble by everyone digging through all the bags and moving them around constantly trying to find the bag with the visibly largest pieces in it?  This idea seems counterproductive if large hunks of coal are what everyone is after.  

Here's a possibly better train of thought for this....

Get a couple 5 gallon buckets.  When you end up with lump that is smaller than your mind will allow you to use, dump it in that bucket.  Toss a couple handfuls of that rubble in on top of your regular charcoal each time you cook.  Every ounce of that 'rubble' still has the same BTU potential as an ounce that is included in a 2 pound chunk.  Don't let it go to waste.

24 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Can you imagine how much excellent charcoal would be reduced to rubble by everyone digging through all the bags and moving them around constantly trying to find the bag with the visibly largest pieces in it?  This idea seems counterproductive if large hunks of coal are what everyone is after.  

Here's a possibly better train of thought for this....

Get a couple 5 gallon buckets.  When you end up with lump that is smaller than your mind will allow you to use, dump it in that bucket.  Toss a couple handfuls of that rubble in on top of your regular charcoal each time you cook.  Every ounce of that 'rubble' still has the same BTU potential as an ounce that is included in a 2 pound chunk.  Don't let it go to waste.

Or buy stuff with less “rubble”!

at least one of those bags were from the top of a shrink wrapped pallet

1 hour ago, A.O. said:

Or buy stuff with less “rubble”!

at least one of those bags were from the top of a shrink wrapped pallet

I probably missed it in all the comments here, but what was your solution?  Which brand are you buying now?

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I probably missed it in all the comments here, but what was your solution?  Which brand are you buying now?

So I found this stuff at Walmart its called "Expert Grill" looks pretty cheesy but the sizes are good and it burns very well, at least for me, but remember I AM a rookie at all this so take that with a grain of salt. But maybe you could get a bag and test it out. You would be a better judge of things than I. 

And at $15 for a 30 pound bag, the price is right!

IMG_5988.JPG

@A.O. I will grab a bag of that next time I'm in there and give it a whirl....

For what it's worth, I use TWO types of lump charcoal here.  When I'm cooking meat, I use Kamado Joe Big Block.  When I am cooking anything else, which is a LOT of the time, I'm using royal oak.  It doesn't have the heavy smoke profile that the KJ has and if you are baking bread or a cake or a pie or anything where smoke would actually interfere with your results, the cleaner burning coal is a great choice.

13 hours ago, John Setzler said:

@A.O. I will grab a bag of that next time I'm in there and give it a whirl....

For what it's worth, I use TWO types of lump charcoal here.  When I'm cooking meat, I use Kamado Joe Big Block.  When I am cooking anything else, which is a LOT of the time, I'm using royal oak.  It doesn't have the heavy smoke profile that the KJ has and if you are baking bread or a cake or a pie or anything where smoke would actually interfere with your results, the cleaner burning coal is a great choice.

Very good, and like I said I'm pretty much still just a rookie. I've not done any baking yet except a couple pizzas.. I guess that's baking??

Not really practiced enough to tell the taste difference in different charcoals. But I AM practiced enough to know I like these Kamados! 

And glad I found your place here for the guidance and ideas!

@A.O. pizza is baking but in a lot of cases it doesn't matter which coal you use when you are doing pizza if you are cooking really hot.  Even the coals that are not fully carbonized like the KJ, fogo, and JD will be cooking hot enough that the volatiles will be completely combusted and won't provide a recognizable flavor element to the cook.  Even if it does, its light enough that it's not a problem.  If you are baking at 300-375F, coals like KJ can leave horrible flavors on something like a pie, cobbler, or pound cake.  I realize that most people don't use their grills for stuff like that but I do.. lol

22 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Good point John.  It had not entered my little mind, and with people being people one can only imagine  the damage done to the bags. So I retract my comment about the bags. In case any one is interested when I fill the fire bowl with charcoal I will add some of the small stuff from the bottom the last bag I was using. when I get down to large dust pieces I discard the rest. Maybe we are being too concerned with the size and not how it burns and the flavor of the charcoal. My only NO NO is sparking I have a log house with a wood deck in 5 acres of dense trees . Been using charcoal since the 60s  after leaving Uncle Sam's Misguided Children  ( with my dad before that) never had a bag that was unusable. Some just required a little more finesse to use than others. Remember this is a man made item that is very fragile. Keep grilling 

55 minutes ago, len440 said:

Good point John.  It had not entered my little mind, and with people being people one can only imagine  the damage done to the bags. So I retract my comment about the bags. In case any one is interested when I fill the fire bowl with charcoal I will add some of the small stuff from the bottom the last bag I was using. when I get down to large dust pieces I discard the rest. Maybe we are being too concerned with the size and not how it burns and the flavor of the charcoal. My only NO NO is sparking I have a log house with a wood deck in 5 acres of dense trees . Been using charcoal since the 60s  after leaving Uncle Sam's Misguided Children  ( with my dad before that) never had a bag that was unusable. Some just required a little more finesse to use than others. Remember this is a man made item that is very fragile. Keep grilling 

In all my experience with various brands of lump charcoal, sparking is ONLY a problem when lighting the grill and it is exacerbated by using extreme lighting methods such as torches and forced air methods.  Using fire starter cubes minimizes and potential for sparking....

Your correct about only sparking on start up I just don't use that brand. What I was trying to convey is if you don't like a brand don't buy it, don't know if there is a perfect brand nor size of lump for everyone, and what I like and use may not be what your happy with .  The main thing here is we are grilling with charcoal