Pizza @ 900 Degrees Safe?

Graham

I usually bring the Big Joe to around 500-550 then prior to the 1st pizza going on I chuck a small-medium sized log on, this gives a temperature spike to 800/900 for around 10-15 minutes, enough to do a couple of pizza's. This also gives good smoke flavour to the pizza without running it very hot for a prolonged period of time. 

• 8 months later...

@John Setzler 

First, let me say we love your videos.  We are very new KJ users and have found them to be very helpful. (One week in and we have cooked delicious Iowa Chops, Brats, Cowboy Ribeyes, Salmon, Street Corn, Asparagus, and Hot Dogs.)

Second, I did a search trying to find out how to get my KJ up to 900 degrees.  With a grill full of premium natural charcoal, I could get it to hover around 570 degrees. (still don't know how to get it hotter)

Third, Your response to this post was the first response and I was baffled by your saying that you don't recommend going to 900 degrees.  We just watched your video where you tell how to make the dough and that we need to cook the Neopolitan pizza at 900 degrees for two minutes.??? 

12 minutes ago, robin n teresa said:

@John Setzler 

First, let me say we love your videos.  We are very new KJ users and have found them to be very helpful. (One week in and we have cooked delicious Iowa Chops, Brats, Cowboy Ribeyes, Salmon, Street Corn, Asparagus, and Hot Dogs.)

Second, I did a search trying to find out how to get my KJ up to 900 degrees.  With a grill full of premium natural charcoal, I could get it to hover around 570 degrees. (still don't know how to get it hotter)

Third, Your response to this post was the first response and I was baffled by your saying that you don't recommend going to 900 degrees.  We just watched your video where you tell how to make the dough and that we need to cook the Neopolitan pizza at 900 degrees for two minutes.??? 

Hi,

There are valid reasons for having a dough recipe that can take ultra high heat.  Some pizza specific devices will safely get very hot. You can take a kamado to 900°f but it's a bad idea for the longevity of you kamado.  I seldom get mine over 600°f, I never have a need, I have better tools for that.

Cheers

14 minutes ago, robin n teresa said:

@John Setzler  Your response to this post was the first response and I was baffled by your saying that you don't recommend going to 900 degrees.  We just watched your video where you tell how to make the dough and that we need to cook the Neopolitan pizza at 900 degrees for two minutes.??? 

Remember even though this is a kamado focused forum, John, has a number of grills including a Wood Fired Oven that easily and safely reaches 900 degs. I cook on a LargeBGE and won't take it to 900 either. If you want to cook a Neapolitan pizza on a kamado. I reccomend Ken Forkish's dough recipes in His book the Elements of Pizza. He uses modified dough recipes adjusting the hydration and yeast levels and allow you to cook a Neapolitan at 550 to 600 degrees. 

6 minutes ago, philpom said:

Hi,

There are valid reasons for having a dough recipe that can take ultra high heat.  Some pizza specific devices will safely get very hot. You can take a kamado to 900°f but it's a bad idea for the longevity of you kamado.  I seldom get mine over 600°f, I never have a need, I have better tools for that.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Remember even though this is a kamado focused forum, John, has a number of grills including a Wood Fired Oven that easily and safely reaches 900 degs. I cook on a LargeBGE and won't take it to 900 either. If you want to cook a Neapolitan pizza on a kamado. I reccomend Ken Forkish's dough recipes in His book the Elements of Pizza. He uses modified dough recipes adjusting the hydration and yeast levels and allow you to cook a Neapolitan at 550 to 600 degrees. 

We are not pizza aficionados and aren't all that interested in a specialty pizza grill.  We had just watched John's video (using a Kamado Joe) where he gives a dough recipe for a Neopolitan pizza that should be cooked at 900 degrees. (demonstrated in the video on the Kamado Joe) So, we wondered how to achieve 900 degrees and, then, wondered why he said on here that he does not recommend that for the KJ, which he demonstrated in the video.  We are just experimenting with the grill and its capabilities.  We will probably mostly cook steaks, etc. and possibly smoke some butts, etc. (typical kamado fare)

A bunch of  of us here cook pizza at 550 to 650 and turn out some great pies. Along with the other BBQ classics Pizza on a kamado is great, give it a try. I am thinking you will like it, never had any complaints from the Family and Friends I feed pizza. Happy Cooking. 

IMG_0715.thumb.jpeg.12f92481efb06326882012a98c739fef.jpeg

IMG_0712.thumb.jpeg.430369f3cd5d2400e046675554681836.jpeg

IMG_0713.thumb.jpeg.a5ba6ee0f63c77d01289e7aaf940f0db.jpeg 

1 hour ago, robin n teresa said:

@John Setzler 

Yea.. I have shown how to do it but I still don't really recommend it in a Kamado.  I think its unsafe.  The Kamado can do it but there are a lot of problems I see with it.  First of all, 900 degrees in this setup is dangerously hot for the operator and the grill.  The metal bands that hold the grill together expand and get loose when you get the grill that hot.  I have experienced a few near misses with my grill coming apart at those temperatures.  If that should ever happen while someone is standing near the grill, there will be some sad injuries to deal with.  

Can it be done?  Yes.  Will you have a problem?  Maybe not.  Is it work the risk?  That is up to you.  It's not worth it to ME and I feel like my experience with these grills are a lot more seasoned that most.

I did it and I regret it.  I can't prove it but I think it hurt my KJ.  If you want pizza you can get an Ooni for not

a lot of money.  That's what I did and am very satisfied.  It's nothing like John's set up but it's a starting point.

On 6/7/2021 at 4:10 PM, John Setzler said:

Yea.. I have shown how to do it but I still don't really recommend it in a Kamado.  I think its unsafe.  The Kamado can do it but there are a lot of problems I see with it.  First of all, 900 degrees in this setup is dangerously hot for the operator and the grill.  The metal bands that hold the grill together expand and get loose when you get the grill that hot.  I have experienced a few near misses with my grill coming apart at those temperatures.  If that should ever happen while someone is standing near the grill, there will be some sad injuries to deal with.  

Can it be done?  Yes.  Will you have a problem?  Maybe not.  Is it work the risk?  That is up to you.  It's not worth it to ME and I feel like my experience with these grills are a lot more seasoned that most.

That takes me back to the original question about the video.  I don't quite understand why you would promote something, which you are saying is "dangerous", in a tutorial video.  I think it would be the responsible thing to edit the video to remove that portion or at lease insert a disclaimer.  I just got my grill a little over a week ago and have watched several videos just to see how it's done, from steaks to salmon to pizza.  Other than accidentally stumbling onto this string, I would have no way of knowing that trying to hit 900 degrees to make a pizza was anything but safe.

6 hours ago, robin n teresa said:

That takes me back to the original question about the video.  I don't quite understand why you would promote something, which you are saying is "dangerous", in a tutorial video.  I think it would be the responsible thing to edit the video to remove that portion or at lease insert a disclaimer.  I just got my grill a little over a week ago and have watched several videos just to see how it's done, from steaks to salmon to pizza.  Other than accidentally stumbling onto this string, I would have no way of knowing that trying to hit 900 degrees to make a pizza was anything but safe.

At the time I produced the video, I didn't think it was that dangerous.  I maybe should not say that it's dangerous.  Anyone should realize that 900 degrees F is some serious heat.  

I think part of the problem is the common perception that higher temperature produces better pizza.  That simply is not true.  It's used to produce a specific style of pizza called Neapolitan pizza.   Kamado grills produce awesome pizzas in the 500-600F range for the appropriate styles.  And yes.. you CAN take it to 900 degrees if you want to.  If you are practicing the standard safety measures that should be used by anyone who is grilling, then you won't likely experience pain or injury :)