Kamodo Joe Ceramic Disc Heat Baffles

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2020 at 11:44 AM, len440 said:

Interesting wonder how they would sear a steak?

Gonna find out in a couple weeks.

One of my Big Joe deflectors cracked in three this weekend (second set, the first set I dropped both so I replaced them on my nickel).

KJ support told me to buy new ones - even though they are ceramic they are only warrantied for three years instead of "lifetime". :roll:

So instead of giving KJ another $80 for a couple years of use I figured I would invest in something that won't crack. $68 for a pair of half circle 19.75" was less than a new set of ceramic deflectors and should last quite a bit longer.

7 hours ago, chickenwings said:

Nice!  Do you see any difference in heat transfer from the steel to the ceramic?

No idea yet, they are supposed to arrive Tuesday.

Logic would say yes, there should be better heat transfer, but logic and reality are often at odds.

I'm keeping the chunks from the broken half, worst case I will use both (ceramic on top of steel) if the steel is too efficient.

On 8/28/2020 at 4:53 PM, McBBQpants said:

My ceramic disc cracked... again.  Found a guy on eBay who fabricated a 15" round steel plate 1/4" thick cut in half.  See below in Pac-Man formation.... works like a champ, and will NEVER break.  $44 well spent.  Anyone else had that issue?   Very happy with this solution...

IMG_20200828_160246.jpg

Got a link to the seller?

My KJ ceramics also broke.  I have been using a 15" pizza stone that has outlasted 3 KJ ceramic deflectors but steel would be even better.

Tom

5 hours ago, T_om said:

Got a link to the seller?

My KJ ceramics also broke.  I have been using a 15" pizza stone that has outlasted 3 KJ ceramic deflectors but steel would be even better.

Tom

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Half-Moon-1-4-Steel-Plate-Disc-Shaped-19-75-Diameter-250-A36-Steel/203146042064

This is the guy I used, the auction is for Big Joe sized plates (19.75" diameter).

He is great at responding, very reasonable for cost and quick shipping.

You will probably need to contact him about custom making two 15" half circles (or whatever the correct size is for the classic).

I still need to try them out, too much family stuff to deal with since I got them Thursday.

SteelDeflectors.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I bought two 15 plates from the seller on eBay.  They got here in six days.  They are exactly the same diameter as the ceramic ones and tried them today.  They held 275 perfectly with the Fireboard 2 Drive, and held 300 when I increased the temperature.  Overshot by a couple if degrees.  I am impressed, and they don’t break.  I will try them on the DoeJoe next.

• 2 weeks later...

We had enough turkey and needed to make pizza.  I tried the steel deflectors in the DoJoe, and it was the best pizza ever.  A much better cook than with the ceramic deflectors in the DoJoe.  I am sold on the steel deflectors for $42.  A great value and indestructible.  They clean very easy as well.  I cannot find a negative so far.