Getting high temps with briquettes?

fncruz

I am a first time user (KJ Classic 2) and bought both briquettes and lump to compare. I am having trouble getting briquettes over 300 degrees.

Is it possible that the many smaller pieces are preventing air flow through the grates?

When briquettes burn they turn mostly to ash. My guess is the ash is obstructing your airflow which is why you're having a hard time getting higher temps. For this reason, briquettes are not a good fuel source in a Kamado cooker. Stick with lump charcoal which burns much cleaner.

2 hours ago, fncruz said:

I am a first time user (KJ Classic 2) and bought both briquettes and lump to compare. I am having trouble getting briquettes over 300 degrees.

Is it possible that the many smaller pieces are preventing air flow through the grates?

My bet is that you just don't have enough charcoal in the grill.  

10 hours ago, William said:

... the ash is obstructing your airflow ...

Use more fuel, but also get briquettes going quick because the ash will eventually get in the way. I used them in the 2-barrel and it would clog with ash by the time I'd finished a ~20lb. bag. Had I only known then, what Kamados have taught about fire. 

Frank

Briquettes have a more regular shape than lump and probably don't affect airflow negatively as compared to lump at startup. Yes they make ash, like all charcoal but their strength is consistency bag after bag. The KJ ash removal system is pretty convenient as compared to some kamado grills so if you have to pull the tray a bit more or shake and stir the pile it's not too much trouble. If you have an ash basket that makes it even easier. Briquettes aren't popular here but I use them from time to time without issues. To each their own. Your mileage may vary.

Try pulling the tray if you want high temperature cooks and embers flying out is not an issue.

#unpopularopinions ;-)

Happy Cooking