Smart and Final Mesquite Charcoal

Mesquite burns long and hot.There is a lot of variation in lump size and it does tend to spark when

being lit - especially if using a MAPP or Propane torch. Lazzari and El Diablo are equivalent brands which

are available in the western states. I suspect they all come from the same source in Mexico.

I buy El Diablo from Costco for $13-$14 per 40# bag and have been using it for several years.

Edited by K_sqrd
Spelling error

So update. This stuff sucks!!!! Finding ribbons of plastic in the charcoal. Charcoal smells like literal dirt. Almost like opening a bag of soil. Mostly powder and small chips. Terrible stuff. Takes forever to get lit and come up to temp. Can’t get it to go over 650

A621166C-94FB-496D-9FB1-4EB56A9ADF12.jpeg

Wow! Sorry to hear that. I've used a Thermowerks IR thermo to check Mesquite lump and

the temp goes off the scale - well over 1000 degrees F. I know that small pieces covered with

dust makes it difficult to light and will not burn very hot until the dust is burned off.

Dust and small pieces reduce the air flow probably causing the lower temp you are seeing.

Again, sorry to hear of your experience.

This might help you with charcoal 

Lot of info. Don't be put off by one bad bag it can vary greatly from bag to bag brand to brand . I've had 2 bags of Royal oak the lumps were smaller than your lump then the next bag they were all large chunks. I've never used mesquite charcoal so i can't comment on it 

25 minutes ago, Golf Griller said:

650 is plenty hot enough for anything I would cook on my grill, including pizza.

Yeah I was annoyed cause I was trying to do a cleaning burn. My grill was super dirty from smoking two pork shoulder the last weekend

20 minutes ago, len440 said:

This might help you with charcoal 

Lot of info. Don't be put off by one bad bag it can vary greatly from bag to bag brand to brand . I've had 2 bags of Royal oak the lumps were smaller than your lump then the next bag they were all large chunks. I've never used mesquite charcoal so i can't comment on it 

That is a great thread. I’ve read it a few time. I usually only buy FOGO or BandB but money was tight this week and I wanted to clean the grill before I smoke some Beef Plate Ribs.

1 hour ago, USFSSmokey said:

Yeah I was annoyed cause I was trying to do a cleaning burn. My grill was super dirty from smoking two pork shoulder the last weekend

Here is information on cleaning burns from @John Setzler's Kamado Book of Knowledge v1.1, page 39.

"If your Kamado is used primarily for low-and-slow smoking, you may need to perform self-cleaning cycles on it occasionally to remove built up grease and residue from the interior. If your cooking habits are more balanced with low and high temperature cooking, this process may not be necessary with any frequency. To perform a self-cleaning cycle on your Kamado, build a fire in your firebox and open the vents fully. Let the grill come up to a dome temperature of 550°F. As the grill is coming up to this temperature you may see a lot of thick white smoke billowing from the grill. This is normal. As the temperature approaches 550°F, start closing the air vents to keep the grill from going over 600°F. Let the grill stay at this temperature until there is no more thick white smoke coming from the grill. If there is no thick white smoke coming from the grill as you bring the temperature up to 500°F, you can stop early. There is no need to do this any longer than needed or hotter than this. It’s a waste of charcoal and unnecessary stress on your grill ceramics. Temperatures in excess of 700°F can be harmful to any stainless steel pieces inside the grill. Once stainless steel is exposed to those temperatures, it will start rusting. "