What are your temps with vents full open?

Scott F

I have a KJBJ1 and fired it up for the first time using RO w/o a basket.  The pieces of RO were a little small. My intention was to cook some sausages and then go for a clean out burn. My Big Joe was a used buy from someone who did not burn the gunk out as often as I will going forward. I was wondering what temps everyone gets w D&C and deflector plates installed with top and bottom full open?

Depends on if you install it in the lower or upper position.  In the low position you're not gonna get it too high, (low is for low and slow).  In the upper position, (pizza) it's possible to go nuclear if you're not careful. Especially with a full load of lump.  PS Nuclear is BAD by the way. Bad for gaskets, bad for the ceramics.  But you will have really clean grates and interior.:-D

I've had my BJ go round the dial when i left it unattended for longer than i should have 

Also, dont bother doing a "clean burn"

Its a complete waste of fuel

Instead, just have a pizza night

600f+ for an hour or more will clean everything just fine and at least you'll get some use out of the lump you've spent 

So I had the deflector plates installed in the lower position and was surprised that it kept ~420 on the dome with both vents full open.  I had calibrated the dome thermometer the day before, so I feel good about that part.  Great tip on the lower vs upper position and the difference that can make.  Additionally, I was under half full on the lump when I started it (maybe 1/3rd only).  I think my temp was a combination of the deflector plate positions and my small fire.  I will know more when I open it up later today and see what lump remains.

6 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I've had my BJ go round the dial when i left it unattended for longer than i should have 

Also, dont bother doing a "clean burn"

Its a complete waste of fuel

Instead, just have a pizza night

600f+ for an hour or more will clean everything just fine and at least you'll get some use out of the lump you've spent 

Great tip Polar Bear, quick question for you.  I have seen many of the videos and read some discussion here, but the pizza night seemed like something I should know my BJ before getting into.  Did you buy a special pizza stone for this?  Wondering if I can use the one I have been using in my oven for years?

I copied this from Golf hope this helps i think it was something John Seltzer posted

"If your Kamado is used primarily for low-and-slow smoking, you may need to perform self-cleaning cycles on it occasionally to remove built up grease and residue from the interior. If your cooking habits are more balanced with low and high temperature cooking, this process may not be necessary with any frequency. To perform a self-cleaning cycle on your Kamado, build a fire in your firebox and open the vents fully. Let the grill come up to a dome temperature of 550°F. As the grill is coming up to this temperature you may see a lot of thick white smoke billowing from the grill. This is normal. As the temperature approaches 550°F, start closing the air vents to keep the grill from going over 600°F. Let the grill stay at this temperature until there is no more thick white smoke coming from the grill. If there is no thick white smoke coming from the grill as you bring the temperature up to 500°F, you can stop early. There is no need to do this any longer than needed or hotter than this. It’s a waste of charcoal and unnecessary stress on your grill ceramics. Temperatures in excess of 700°F can be harmful to any stainless steel pieces inside the grill. Once stainless steel is exposed to those temperatures, it will start rusting. "

•  

19 hours ago, Scott F said:

Great tip Polar Bear, quick question for you.  I have seen many of the videos and read some discussion here, but the pizza night seemed like something I should know my BJ before getting into.  Did you buy a special pizza stone for this?  Wondering if I can use the one I have been using in my oven for years?

A pizza stone is a pizza stone, for the most part 

I use one i bought from the local hardware store and have had no issues