So I made meatloaf and cooked it in my Joe Jr, started around 370° but as you know when you put you meat on temp drops on the dome thermometer which then read around 320°.  Recipe calls for 350°.  Heat deflector was in the low position. The issue is, the meatloaf was more cooked (too much) on the bottom by the time the top was done.  My first thought is ok, too much fire from below but then how do you maintain the 350° temp?  Do you bake things like this at a lower dome temp?   What else would be the solution?  Oh, and yes I’ve calibrated my thermometer.  Would I be better getting an auxiliary thermometer for grate temp?

I bake based on grate temp. and make sure that I have whatever I am baking high up in the dome away from the fire with at least one deflector and sometimes two. The grate therm is set to read temps at the same level as the bottom of the food. In a lot of cases, the dome temp will be as much as 50* less than the grate temp especially in the range of baking temps.

Edited by EZ smoke

Thanks for the input.  I’ve thought about two heat shields, I may try that some time.  I’m guess it’s the hotter grate temp.  As for the size of my pan, it was fully covered by the jr heat deflector....good thought though.  That’s one of the reasons I chose KJ over BGE, I felt the heat deflectors have better coverage.