First Joetisserie Chicken

Made my first chicken on the Joetisserie tonight.  Wanted to keep things simple and limit the variables for my first run, so I did a Cornell Chicken marinade (a staple around here).  Cooked at 370° for an hour and a half, turned out amazing.  It was just a little too much vinegar for my tastes, but my wife loved it.  Really happy with the ease of use and results with the joetisserie.  Will be definitely doing more adventurous seasonings in the future for sure.

20200903_182134.jpg

20200903_195125.jpg

20200903_200206.jpg

Congrats!  I love this accessory.   I was always a fan of spatchcocking a chicken but this definitely is much better in my option!  I've done a few now and they're always terrific.  I'd like to try something else very soon.  If you just search JoeTisserie on the site, there is a ton of posts of other different meats to put over the fire.  Enjoy!

3 hours ago, Beermachine said:

Vinegar????

@Beermachine. Yeah, it's a vinegar barbecue marinade that they use some variation of at pretty much every chicken barbecue in Upstate NY.

This site has a decent brief history:https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/cornell-chicken-barbecue-sauce-upstate.amp

It leads to really juicy, tender chicken that still has a crisp salty skin, but the vinegar can be a little overpowering if you leave it in the marinade too long.

• 8 months later...

Found a Cornell chicken recipe and cooked spatchcock. Best chicken I’ve ever had! Can’t believe I never heard of it until now. Joetisserie arrived this week and that will be my first cook on it.

On 6/5/2021 at 7:44 AM, jark87 said:

Found a Cornell chicken recipe and cooked spatchcock. Best chicken I’ve ever had! Can’t believe I never heard of it until now. Joetisserie arrived this week and that will be my first cook on it.

Joetisserie chicken is great. And nearly foolproof. I got the grill too hot the other day and ended up having a flare up which got the outside rather charred. I took it off the grill and finished in the oven. Ended up cooking to a higher finish temp than I intended by 10+ degrees. All that and it was still fantastic.

This sounds really amazing.  Living over the border from the Niagara frontier, I am surprised that we have never heard of it previously.  

Whilst a lot different, I have been using a buttermilk/garlic marinade up til now and really enjoy the results. Heres a previous posting for that marinade (OMG 2012!)

Can’t wait to try the Cornell Chicken though!

@JeffieBoy I know the whole border situation makes things wacky, but I'd be surprised if they don't sell Chiavetta's marinade there in Ontario.  It's the big thing in Buffalo.  Easy enough to make your own, but the pre-made bottles actually usually end up being cheaper

@AJS390  With a second shot in the arm in 7 days from now, we have hope that we will be able to cross the border sooner than later.  Hopefully this summer.  A lot of products that we previously bought in Buffalo/ Niagara simply don’t show up on the shelves on this side of the river.  Will definitely keep Chiavettas on my list, along with an Akorn Jr. Smokin’ Stone, Hibiki Harmony, Benjamin Chapman & Angels Envy Whiskies, Hildebrandt “Drum Roller” Spinnerbaits, etc, etc,  Cheers!