Whole Striploin Advice

Hi,

I am doing some surf & turf tomorrow for about 17 people and have a bunch of lobsters and a whole striploin.

Having just bought a JoeTisserie for my Big Joe I’m draw to turning everything right now and I know the whole striploin would come out well cooked as a roast that way.

That said, I’m thinking for surf and turf carving out steaks and grilling might be more appropriate as maybe roast style beef isn’t quite the fit for pairing with lobster.

Anyone think rotisserie here?

Thanks!

Those are first world problems if I ever heard of one.

I can only say to go with what you know. You can't experiment for this event. 

It would seem that the Joetisserie would make it easier, though.

Sounds like these folks are in for an incredible meal either way. 

If you kept an eye on your internal temp, see no reason why it would turn out "well cooked".  Pull it at 125-135 for med.  Or earlier for med rare.  I prefer steaks, but cooking 17 steaks and getting them cooked to each individual's preference could be a bit challenging. Good luck and Bon Appetite. :-D

It sounds like a timing issue to me. Can you sear 17 steaks to each persons' liking and then do

the lobster tails? Kind of reminds me of a "One legged rooster in a two story hen house". LOL!

If you go the RotoJoe route, you can cook the whole loin to the doneness you want (120 - 125 deg. ?),

wrap in foil and towels and place in a cooler while you cook the tails. The meat has to rest

anyway and carry over heat will bump the temp up a bit. It can be held like this for a long time.

Lobster tails don't take very long to cook so you'll minimize you're time at the grill and have more time

for visiting with your guests.

Or......cut the steaks up, sous vide them all to a bit below medium rare, then finish them all off with a hot sear on the grill. Easy enough that way to let a few just go a little bit longer for any heathen that likes medium or well done.

As for the lobsters, probably boil them and serve with drawn butter if they are whole. If they are tails, then John has a good video here:

Only problem there is you will most likely need two Kamados - one for the lobster and one for the steaks.

17 hours ago, adm said:

Or......cut the steaks up, sous vide them all to a bit below medium rare, then finish them all off with a hot sear on the grill. Easy enough that way to let a few just go a little bit longer for any heathen that likes medium or well done.

This for the win! 

I ended up cuttting to 1.5 inch or so steaks and grilling.  Turned out great.  I do have a soul vide setup as well but honestly have never preferred my steaks done that way.   I really think nothing beats a great salt and pepper rub and direct high heat over charcoal.   No doubt you can crush your consistency across a large volume of steaks with sous vide but I think you give up something in the taste and texture space.  Of course, maybe I’m not great at it ;-)