Maintaining Low Temp

fncruz

I have been using y KJ Classic 2 for a few weeks now and really enjoying it.

Today I am smoking a pork butt and trying to maintain 250 degrees F. It keeps creeping up to 300. I open the lid to lower temperature and slightly close the bottom and top vents. I now have top and bottom open 1/2 inch.

Is this normal or is it supposed to be hard to maintain very low smoking temperatures?

Nope, should be able to maintain 225-250 all day long.  Keep the lid closed,  you're letting in fresh air and causing your fire to spike.  Keep your bottom vent about 1/2" and the top barely cracked to maintain the temp.  Takes patience and practice, lots of practice. Good luck

As stated above opening your lid is doing more harm than good. I think you are letting your fire get too big before closing down the vents. Try lighting just 1 spot in the middle and don’t overshoot the target. What I do is 50-75° degrees to your target close the vents to half of your final setting. You should notice the temp stall or even fall a bit after this. Once temp stabilizes and starts creeping up again almost to target you can close down further, your vents will be barely open for that low temp. If I’m going for low temp I like to take about 45 mins to an hour to come up to temp, heat soak and let the fire mature to burn off that acrid start-up smoke. After awhile you just know what that setting is. 

ps the pork will cook just fine between 250 and 300.  Good luck!

Stop opening the lid! You have allowed the fire to get too big. Chasing temps down requires the vents to be almost closed until the fire reduces in size, then reset the vents. Learn from this, never let the fire get too big and take it to your desired temp SLOWLY. When doing a low and slow only lite the fire in one place with one fire starter. 

2 minutes ago, Beermachine said:

Stop opening the lid! You have allowed the fire to get too big. Chasing temps down requires the vents to be almost closed until the fire reduces in size, then reset the vents. Learn from this, never let the fire get too big and take it to your desired temp SLOWLY. When doing a low and slow only lite the fire in one place with one fire starter. 

Ok that makes sense.

I have had my Classic II a couple months now and I can't get it stable. Since it doesn't shutdown we've (thanks, John Setzler!) narrowed it to the lower vent needing to be tightened by tapping the tracks closed. I began this task and wanted to get a better hammer. I was trying my rubber one but it takes too many whacks. 

So, I just went out with a small claw hammer and tightened the lower vent (up). The tracks look as if some fool has been beating on them (see below) with a hammer,but it's certainly less rattly. 

If you are going to try this start with making sure the tab that holds it fully closed is tight and then the middle of the tracks is keeping it from rattling when fully closed. 

We'll see if she shuts down next time. Doing smash burgers tonight. It's easier on the Blackstone but we may have to fire up the Red Brigade! Red Menace! Red Sonja! 

Sorry, trying out new knicknames. 

15995146505347593902865127538277.jpg

15 hours ago, fncruz said:

I have been using y KJ Classic 2 for a few weeks now and really enjoying it.

Today I am smoking a pork butt and trying to maintain 250 degrees F. It keeps creeping up to 300. I open the lid to lower temperature and slightly close the bottom and top vents. I now have top and bottom open 1/2 inch.

Is this normal or is it supposed to be hard to maintain very low smoking temperatures?

Maintaining a steady temp is an essential skill to learn. Once learned, I break that rule religiously now. I personally would have left the cook ride out @ 300° or thereabouts.