Success! Now what?

William

I've got my spatchcock chicken recipe nailed down to perfection! After about two years of slight adjustments to my dry rub, I've honed in on the perfect amount of sweetness, heat and sodium. I've also finally figured out how to repeat my results on achieving the crispness of a tortilla chip with the chicken skin. 

I'm thrilled yet disappointed that I no longer need to keep tweaking this recipe. I guess I move on to another flavor profile and make it my new mission? 

IMG_20200907_201400_208.jpg

IMG_20200907_201400_200.jpg

I think in this forum you should share your recipe and method and then move on to try to perfect something else.  That is very good-looking spatchcock chicken and I would love more than pictures.  Remember perfection is one of those things that keeps leaving your fingertips just when you grasp it.

Here is my method.. 

Make rub as follows:

1 1/4 cups Brown Sugar 

3 tablespoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper

2 1/2 tablespoons Chili Powder 

1 tablespoon Cumin 

1 1/2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika 

1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder 

1 tsp baking powder 

When spatchcocking the bird after backbone is removed, open carcass and make a cut in the white cartilage you'll see and dig out the keel bone with fingers so the bird can lay flat and be easily cut in half when finished. Reach fingers under breast skin and thigh skin to break loose from the meat.  Salt skin and put in fridge uncovered for 24 hours to dry brine. Set on cookie cooling rack to keep it out of liquid. 

When ready to cook, wipe remaining salt away, dry skin throughly, add olive oil and the rub. Put lots of rub under the skin on the breast and thigh meat. 

Set your temperature in the range of 350-375 and cook until breast meat reaches 155 internal temperature. Pull chicken and rest for 10 to 15 minutes uncovered. This is enough time for the temperature to raise another 10 degrees.

Enjoy!

On 9/9/2020 at 3:07 PM, William said:

Here is my method.. 

Make rub as follows:

1 1/4 cups Brown Sugar 

3 tablespoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper

2 1/2 tablespoons Chili Powder 

1 tablespoon Cumin 

1 1/2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika 

1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder 

1 tsp baking powder 

When spatchcocking the bird after backbone is removed, open carcass and make a cut in the white cartilage you'll see and dig out the keel bone with fingers so the bird can lay flat and be easily cut in half when finished. Reach fingers under breast skin and thigh skin to break loose from the meat.  Salt skin and put in fridge uncovered for 24 hours to dry brine. Set on cookie cooling rack to keep it out of liquid. 

When ready to cook, wipe remaining salt away, dry skin throughly, add olive oil and the rub. Put lots of rub under the skin on the breast and thigh meat. 

Set your temperature in the range of 350-375 and cook until breast meat reaches 155 internal temperature. Pull chicken and rest for 10 to 15 minutes uncovered. This is enough time for the temperature to raise another 10 degrees.

Enjoy!

Thanks.  On my to do list