Esteemed board, have had a few cooks on my Jr. now and all has been most excellent.  Cooks of around 400 and mainly chicken to get used to the device.  First off, this thing is so miserly with charcoal!  Unbelievable.  The board had prepared me for this but to see it is something else.  Also, I've found it is finicky but I think also I've been chasing it.  Need to settle down a bit as with lump and the insulative qualities this thing can cycle a bit.  Having said all this, :-)  I needed to ask for direction and advice as after my last cook I opened up the vents intending for just a few minutes to clean off the grill.  Well a few minutes turned out longer and boy can this thing go in a short time.  Was aware of that, my bad.  Not Duke Nukem bad but was high. The akorn is fine, but the gaskets I don't think so so much.  The lower melted at the back onto the removable ash tray.  No warping or other issues.  But that lower gasket I think is toast.  And the upper is crispy to me.  Checked with Char-Griller and apparantly there's no dealer in canada for parts.  So along with the USD exchange, they estimate 30 USD for shipping plus the price of the two gaskets.  So my question, has anyone just installed Nomex gaskets on these bad boys?  And if so has it worked out well?  Many thanks to all for your time and consideration.  

Dave

TKO, the lower one had melted at the back where the most heat was.  it was stuck to the bottom portion of the removable ash tray.  That one I feel is pretty much gone.  The top one is crispy when I pinched it.  it could probably work, but won't have the same flexibility as it did before to seal.  I did check out the oem replacement units and the price to get them up here is going to be prohibitive so it seems the only option is to try the nomex setup.  I'll do one side of the tray, and if it works perfect.  If it leaks bad then I'll do the upper surface and see how it works out.  The Akorn itself is good, nothing warped or such.  I'll give it a try.  

Dave

I did a couple low and slow cooks with my JR and then did pizzas on camping trip. Hit maybe 700° which my full size Akorn handles fine on a regular basis. Same problem as you. My lid gaskets are hard as a rock now. Also the plastic tab cover on my top vent broke off when I tried to close the vent to shut it down. Of course I lost my receipt for it so can’t even register it for warranty purposes. I was kinda disappointed considering all the positive reviews. Gonna probably do the same and use the nomex gaskets and be damned careful I don’t burn myself on the vent handle. It’s a shame. I wonder if we get the factory seconds up here in Canada!

Sawzall, have to reply that I followed TKO's thoughts on this thing.  First, what I thought were toasted gaskets actually seemed to survive.  Once the melted stuff and such were cleaned off.  :-(  The next step was to see if they actually pinched up as stated by TKO.  Mind did, a couple of the metal keepers had to be put back into the lower bowl.  And it seemed the area of the biggest damage was at the back where the gasket seems to be bonded.  That was the hot spot, and also the point were I could see no seal = open air flow.  Apparantly Char Griller has no spare parts distributors, and definitely not in Canada.  Shipping fees from them for anything are 30USD and then your parts on top.  For me, I ordered from Amazon a  nomex gasket roll, for kamado's.  My approach will be to seal it were it leaks, but I think the stock gaskets can work.  Surprised.  And ftlog won't let it go unattended going forward.  Just want to try playing with a kamado and have some fun here.  :-)