Jump to content

Kamado Joe is going METAL


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now I know why its 22".  Thst sloroller will fit on a weber kettle.  That might be a smart marketing move...  

I can't make myself view this as a kettle grill.  It's a lightweight metal kamado grill.  I can't even begin to compare it to any kettle grill I have ever seen.  Is the fact that its 22" and metal the

And all of the weber kettle accessories will fit it.

Posted Images

Initial thoughts:


-Looks....interesting, but I don't know if its necessary to keep throwing "INNOVATION" at the wall to see what sticks, this screams "private equity firm CEO demanding more money" to me, in addition to the drastic increase in the amount of customer service complaints you're starting to see since the merger. I honestly would rather see them fix those issues first, then keep throwing new grills out into the market

 

-If the price point stays around 400, thats a pretty big draw, i would easily choose this over a junior, and think hard about it if i was looking at this vs say, a PK (370-450) or PK360 (800)

 

-The slowroller looks like it may be more temperature robust than the existing one, since its all one piece, it would be pretty bad if a runaway fire totally axed your grills ability to smoke

 

-That big gap with the lid would allow for inserts like a dojoe or a JT, but then I heard this:

"is there a reason this is 22 inches?"
well yes, so you have to buy new accessories for this since your existing ones probably wont work with this..DONT LIKE THAT NOPE NOPE

 

-I dont think the metal is going to be a huge issue, people smoke on metal kettles all the time

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KJTerp said:

Initial thoughts:


-Looks....interesting, but I don't know if its necessary to keep throwing "INNOVATION" at the wall to see what sticks, this screams "private equity firm CEO demanding more money" to me, in addition to the drastic increase in the amount of customer service complaints you're starting to see since the merger. I honestly would rather see them fix those issues first, then keep throwing new grills out into the market

 

-If the price point stays around 400, thats a pretty big draw, i would easily choose this over a junior, and think hard about it if i was looking at this vs say, a PK (370-450) or PK360 (800)

 

-The slowroller looks like it may be more temperature robust than the existing one, since its all one piece, it would be pretty bad if a runaway fire totally axed your grills ability to smoke

 

-That big gap with the lid would allow for inserts like a dojoe or a JT, but then I heard this:

"is there a reason this is 22 inches?"
well yes, so you have to buy new accessories for this since your existing ones probably wont work with this..DONT LIKE THAT NOPE NOPE

 

-I dont think the metal is going to be a huge issue, people smoke on metal kettles all the time

 

 

 

You would be wrong regarding the private equity firm.... THIS idea was in the works long before Masterbuilt was in the picture.  I had heard conversations with the previous KJ owner on multiple occasions about a kettle style grill well before there were even any plans to sell the company.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KJTerp said:

 

 

-That big gap with the lid would allow for inserts like a dojoe or a JT, but then I heard this:

"is there a reason this is 22 inches?"
well yes, so you have to buy new accessories for this since your existing ones probably wont work with this..DONT LIKE THAT NOPE NOPE

 

 

 

 

Why would Kamado Joe make a $400 grill that would be fully compatible with the Classic?  THAT would be a stupid move.. lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

 

Why would Kamado Joe make a $400 grill that would be fully compatible with the Classic?  THAT would be a stupid move.. lol. 

 

and competitively thats the size range kettles from Weber and SNS and others are aiming... an 18" would be too small against the volume kettle market so in addition to what John said this would be a bad idea in light of the sales 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of this grill.  I would be more interested in this for having a mobile grill than a Joe Jr. since it will still be easy to move but allows for a big cooking area.  I'm intrigued, I'll keep an eye on this for more details (my biggest concern would be how the grill works with removal of the sloroller).

 

With regards to it being 22", I think that makes perfect sense.  Puts you in competition with the current market products without robbing from your own sales base hopefully.  Also, an 18" kettle grill just seems like it would be too small for it's best usage.  

 

One big benefit nobody has mentioned about the size is that it becomes compatible with any of the accessories already out there for 22" kettles, from weber or whoever.  There's a ton of those around that could work with this grill, assuming there's no odd configuration where the sloroller seats on the grill and the lid hinge really is adjustable.  Only time will tell with more details, but it's an interesting product, for me at least.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RVA Smoker said:

There is a note in the description that retail is $499, not $400.

Loaded, I'm confident the average out the door purchase price will be north of $500.  Expect that many of the "why you purchased this premium priced KJ BBQ" features will be options, definitely including the Slo-Roller.

Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL IMHO no way this competes with budget/import ceramic grills for $500 price point. Heck, even if it cost roughly what an Akorn cost ($250-$350) I would probably choose an Akorn over it. I love innovation but I think this misses the mark at $500 MSRP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EZ smoke said:

LOL IMHO no way this competes with budget/import ceramic grills for $500 price point. Heck, even if it cost roughly what an Akorn cost ($250-$350) I would probably choose an Akorn over it. I love innovation but I think this misses the mark at $500 MSRP.

 

Kamado Joe has never been a competitor to the cheap stuff in the market and they never will be.  There will ALWAYS be a cheaper option that Kamado Joe.  They are marketing to a higher price point client base.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL "cheap stuff". Marketing to a higher client base is fine but the product needs to have features that make it worth more than the lower priced options. I do know what you are saying but you aren't being truthful with yourself if you think this isn't going to be compared to a kettle, Akorn or low end ceramics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

 

Kamado Joe has never been a competitor to the cheap stuff in the market and they never will be.  There will ALWAYS be a cheaper option that Kamado Joe.  They are marketing to a higher price point client base.

 

 

There is also real science behind the airflow rather than a brand replicating a half basket kamado as somehow better because its a less efficient fire (smaller/hotter fire) which i do every day in my joe with a half basket and defuser plates lol

 

I wish I had more science stuff / tools to validate what I experience when I cook with it ... there is a difference 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...