Kamado Joe is going METAL

10 minutes ago, EZ smoke said:

LOL "cheap stuff". Marketing to a higher client base is fine but the product needs to have features that make it worth more than the lower priced options. I do know what you are saying but you aren't being truthful with yourself if you think this isn't going to be compared to a kettle, Akorn or low end ceramics.

"Worth more" is just as subjective as "Cheap Stuff."  It's hard to convince a weber die hard that there is anything out there that is 'worth more' than the $100 kettle grill.  "Worth" is more commonly defined by how much expendable income one has.. lol

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now I know why its 22".  Thst sloroller will fit on a weber kettle.  That might be a smart marketing move...  

I can't make myself view this as a kettle grill.  It's a lightweight metal kamado grill.  I can't even begin to compare it to any kettle grill I have ever seen.  Is the fact that its 22" and metal the

And all of the weber kettle accessories will fit it.

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

"Worth more" is just as subjective as "Cheap Stuff."  It's hard to convince a weber die hard that there is anything out there that is 'worth more' than the $100 kettle grill.  "Worth" is more commonly defined by how much expendable income one has.. lol

Agreed on the first point as far as the terminology being subjective.

"Expendable income" is only one variable for consumers... depending on the person it might be a significant variable but a lot more than "expendable income" goes into my purchasing decisions. Somethings "worth" or "value" is subjective but it is also a variable in the decision making process. 

I know what you are trying to say but my point is that it will be compared (compete) against other similar products regardless of who they market it to. IMO it is no different than the competition that is created within their own product-line with multiple products... for example this will compete at some level with the Classic... just like you have people debate on whether to get a Classic or Big Joe... etc. etc.

Edited by EZ smoke

As a metal kamado (Keg) user, who's biggest issue with the Keg is that it is TOO well insulated, this looks like my perfect replacement.  I'll by buying as soon as it's low/slow ability is proven.

1) Larger - the 22" size will be just what I crave when the 18" I have now feels just a bit tight for the rib racks, brisket etc.

2) Insulation - enough heat retention low down, but heat should drain enough to permit enough combustion to produce "good" smoke at low/slow temps.

3) Metal Weight vs Ceramic - I move my Keg around in my yard depending on wind conditions, outdoor temps etc.  I have been avoiding going ceramic.

4) Cost.  Been eyeing the Weber Summit...but I feel the cost is outrageous for what it is.  I can swallow this KJ metal cost.

As per the "value"....at $700 (likely the Canadian $$ price)....it's value enough for my budget etc.

I'll be curios to see how it stacks up side by side with the Weber Master Touch Premium Kettle 

I'm not a kettle guy, so i cant look at both and see an upside to the Kettle Joe over the Weber 

That having been said, as a KJ owner, I'd be more likely to drop $320 on a tried and true Weber than $500 on a KJ Kettle based simply on the fact that Weber know kettles better than i think KJ does 

But thats just me 

I can't make myself view this as a kettle grill.  It's a lightweight metal kamado grill.  I can't even begin to compare it to any kettle grill I have ever seen.  Is the fact that its 22" and metal the only thing that makes this like a weber?  It's differnent in every other aspect.

12 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I can't make myself view this as a kettle grill.  It's a lightweight metal kamado grill.  I can't even begin to compare it to any kettle grill I have ever seen.  Is the fact that its 22" and metal the only thing that makes this like a weber?  It's differnent in every other aspect.

Are you telling me that kettle grills don't come with a ceramic firepot?

It's called the "Kettle Joe" so maybe that is why kettle grills come to mind. I think that it's a hybrid between a kettle and a kamado ... we'll see how it performs when compared with the two different styled grills. Call it whatever you want... a lightweight kamado grill or a heavyweight kettle grill neither is right or wrong. Again, I'll be curious to see how it performs in various grilling operations when compared to other style grills. :)

Edited by EZ smoke

Interesting for sure.  I did buy a Weber Master Touch as a side kick to my Primo, it's pretty nice.  The one thing I like about it above the Primo is being able to dump char, splash with "the fluid" and light.  The ceramic insert might be good for stability on this cooker but for me it eliminates the advantage of the quick fire.

Don't get me wrong, it's interesting for sure.  I hope it can cook without the "slow roller" in place.  I would have rather seen a double wall steel fire box instead of the ceramic insert, lighter and more durable while still providing a more efficient fire.