Kamado Joe is going METAL

DrunkenMeatFist

On 9/10/2020 at 8:40 PM, John Setzler said:

I can't make myself view this as a kettle grill.  It's a lightweight metal kamado grill.  I can't even begin to compare it to any kettle grill I have ever seen.  Is the fact that its 22" and metal the only thing that makes this like a weber?  It's differnent in every other aspect.

John - any concerns they are veering too far away from their bread and butter too fast and QA may suffer? I am planning on buying a BJ3 as soon as it’s available without a stand but I am a little worried by this and Pellet Joe being distractions 

3 hours ago, TinyRick said:

John - any concerns they are veering too far away from their bread and butter too fast and QA may suffer? I am planning on buying a BJ3 as soon as it’s available without a stand but I am a little worried by this and Pellet Joe being distractions 

My speculation on some hatched idea like that would be rather worthless.

• 5 months later...

So the Kettle Joe seems to be on the verge of release!!   Making a very tough decision for me...

Kettle Joe  vs  Weber Summit Kamado

I'm sending my Broil King Keg out to pasture, and will be picking up a new cooker in the next little while, and have to wonder how the Kettle Joe will do in cooler weather with the ceramic inserts.

It really looks like something designed to appeal to Weber lovers that want to more easily do low and slow. 

Had this been out for a while when I bought my Joe Classic, it would have been appealing since it has the 22” that my former Webber Kettle had. 

3 hours ago, nobius said:

It really looks like something designed to appeal to Weber lovers that want to more easily do low and slow. 

Had this been out for a while when I bought my Joe Classic, it would have been appealing since it has the 22” that my former Webber Kettle had. 

Hmm....I am kinda thinking it's the opposite....it appeals to KJ lovers that want something "like" a Weber Kettle, but have the KJ brand loyalty etc.  Considering Weber just came out with their "Kamado" E6/S6 rebranding, both brands are likely working on pulling some customers over to their sides.  i.e.  this is KJ's version of a *better* kettle.

I see this as more of a kettle grill than a kamado because it is just a single sheet steel shell, without double layer insulation, a la Akorns, Big Steel Kegs, etc. 

If that's true it's going to use a lot of charcoal compared to a kamado, right? Again, more kettlistic. 

On 2/26/2021 at 1:31 PM, nobius said:

I wonder if the sloroller will fit the Weber 22?

If it came in black, I might even consider buying it though.

Wonder how it compares to the Weber Kamado since it has heat retention capability while the Weber has a double wall

Hey all,

Whats the general consensus of the Kettle Joe and thoughts prior to release? I'm tempted to get one ordered and currently trying to decide between this or just stick with a Weber Master touch for the time being, I can't yet afford a full Kamado and want something to learn on easily first.

On 3/7/2021 at 10:10 AM, michty_me said:

Hey all,

Whats the general consensus of the Kettle Joe and thoughts prior to release? I'm tempted to get one ordered and currently trying to decide between this or just stick with a Weber Master touch for the time being, I can't yet afford a full Kamado and want something to learn on easily first.

Honestly, depending on your timeline and budget, I wouldn't do a Master Touch. Its a great grill, but really is designed to be one you keep for a LONG time. If you know you want something else eventually that will actually retire the Weber Kettle, you may as well get a more basic model (I'd still get one with the ash cleanout) for about a hundred bucks

If you are looking at spending the bigger dollars on a better kettle, get a Weber 26.75. It's just better, and with multi-zone cooking, has similar usable indirect space to a 24 inch Kamado

If just getting your feet wet, there are a lot of decent metal Kamados out there for similar money, or get a Jr size to learn on.

This mongrel looks to be a good way of having a half-Kamado, with better thermal spring recovery (the ceramic retains heat so it will better handle opening the lid) and also has a slo-roller. Cool, but not sure its better than a cheaper weber with a Slow N Sear. The weber will also get you a world of accessories (KJ has a lot too, but not yet on the new product)

Hard to say, but I doubt its a "Weber killer"

Short version: If its a temporary grill, don't go all the way to a master touch when a 22 Premium will do all the same things - and if you want to spend the extra, look at the 26.75 and the Performer

2 hours ago, Webber_Grills said:

Honestly, depending on your timeline and budget, I wouldn't do a Master Touch. Its a great grill, but really is designed to be one you keep for a LONG time. If you know you want something else eventually that will actually retire the Weber Kettle, you may as well get a more basic model (I'd still get one with the ash cleanout) for about a hundred bucks

If you are looking at spending the bigger dollars on a better kettle, get a Weber 26.75. It's just better, and with multi-zone cooking, has similar usable indirect space to a 24 inch Kamado

If just getting your feet wet, there are a lot of decent metal Kamados out there for similar money, or get a Jr size to learn on.

This mongrel looks to be a good way of having a half-Kamado, with better thermal spring recovery (the ceramic retains heat so it will better handle opening the lid) and also has a slo-roller. Cool, but not sure its better than a cheaper weber with a Slow N Sear. The weber will also get you a world of accessories (KJ has a lot too, but not yet on the new product)

Hard to say, but I doubt its a "Weber killer"

Short version: If its a temporary grill, don't go all the way to a master touch when a 22 Premium will do all the same things - and if you want to spend the extra, look at the 26.75 and the Performer

Hi and thanks for the insight. I think I would likely be keeping what I buy for a good length of time.

I was aiming for getting something easy to setup and use and pretty versatile which is why I thought maybe the Kamado/Kettle may fit this option pretty well.

Also due to its size, I thought it would be aimed at being able to fit the weber accessories easily. 

Hmm decisions decisions.