Thoughts on this new SloRoller

Just got the email saying from AGC that they carry this product, interesting.

Just curious if anyone has it and thoughts

Does it just make traditional slow cooking smoke easier? Sounds like if know basic smoking contents on our kamado styled grills shouldn't need this

https://atlantagrillcompany.com/products/kamado-joe®-sloroller-w-stainless-steel-cooking-rack?_pos=1&_sid=b0618ec70&_ss=r&mc_cid=5470a41c0d&mc_eid=7b0d0cf782

First, this of course is going to be moved to the KJ section. Second, YIKES!!!! I was hoping for a lower price point. And not happy the grill grates are redundant.

Anyway, comes standard on all the KJ III's and many have commented on them in the forum.

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

Oof 

That is STEEP 

That'll put the Big SloRoller at around $600 Australian if that pricing is to be believed 

I've cooked on both my BJ2 and a good friends BJ3 numerous times and i can say that i didnt notice $600 worth of difference in the end result of any cooks i've run (close to a dozen on the BJ3)

For the same money here, you can walk out with a Big JT AND a bag of Big Block with enough left over for a few beers

12 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I've cooked on both my BJ2 and a good friends BJ3 numerous times and i can say that i didnt notice $600 worth of difference in the end result of any cooks i've run (close to a dozen on the BJ3)

Thanks for this very helpful. Heck I'm totally satisfied also but the thought of it tugs at me.Good thing for my sake that I don't like how it pushes grate level up another 2" or so. It would make it difficult both for me to use my preferred drip pans when cooking brisket and adding my second level of grating.

I bought the recent special on the classic II with the cart. No idea when I will receive it. One concern I would have with this is that I just bought the KJ Charcoal basket because it hooks into the D&C rack. If I didn’t have a smoker and wanted one device that did everything, I probably would have ordered it straight away.

13 hours ago, Misguided said:

I bought the recent special on the classic II with the cart. No idea when I will receive it. One concern I would have with this is that I just bought the KJ Charcoal basket because it hooks into the D&C rack. If I didn’t have a smoker and wanted one device that did everything, I probably would have ordered it straight away.

So, I'm very confused. You bought a Classic II and a KJ basket? It comes with one

15 hours ago, jtemple said:

If I was without one and I was happy with my results without one, I wouldn't spend the money.

That's where I shake out.  I don't have one but I use a Fireboard controller that moves the heat around in my KJ/BJ so I don't have a heat distribution problem to solve.

As John Setzler writes, "Buy a Temperature Control System for your Kamado.  It's worth the investment."

I have been watching for months to see the impression of those using the device.  Like others it has been tugging at me enough to where I almost sold my Classic to buy a Classic 3 but opted not to.  I was told these would be retrofit eventually to the Classic in the near future. I saw the post yesterday, ordered it immediately, it shipped, and it is now in my garage. The FCR as they call the rack is different from the one I have and it says right in the instructions that this should ONLY be used with the SloRoller and not any other time.  I haven't done a side by side comparison yet to see the differences.  That will most likely happen tomorrow.  I will take some photos and measurements to share with ya'll.

I've been out of the accessory game for a while now, just upgraded my KJBJ Classic to mesh gasket and new Kontrol vent. Now I come on here and see this and I gotta wonder what it really adds to the game? I'm gonna low and slow my big cuts pretty darn good with my KJ now, why drop $250 so I might get just a little, tiny bit better? And then I gotta figure out what to do with it when I'm grilling, which is really most of the time. Already have that problem with the Joetisserie, which was a fantastic purchase. Guess I'll have to check in later to see the draw.

I have one on my brand spankin new BJ III

If I didnt have one I doubt I would pay $250 for one. I have only done one long smoke with it (pork butt yesterday) seems to work fine but I think just the standard deflector plates work fine as well. Doing a big brisket cook next weekend so that will be a good test.

I would rather take that money and buy the RotoJoe or whatever its called ;)

As promised I put together to SloRoller this morning for use with a five pound plus prime rib.  The pictures I have included show the stackup which was a question.  The lid on the hyperbolic chamber is exactly 12 inches across. The space between the top of that lid and the bottom of the grill rack is exactly 1 3/8 inches so a tin foil 1"x12" deep dish pizza pan fits perfectly and provides more than enough volume for what I am doing

IMG-3279.JPG

IMG-3280.JPG

IMG-3281.JPG

IMG-3282.JPG

My assessment of the SloRoller maiden voyage. I apologize for this being long but there is a lot going on.

First, cudos to John Setzler for a forum where ideas and learnings can be shared. Thank you John. 

With that, I can conclude my cook today by saying I am a fan of the SloRoller and I am glad I bought it.  The five and a half pound prime rig was cooked evenly throughout although landed at a temp higher than anticipated. I pulled it at a median temp of 122 between the two Fireboard Probes with validation by the new Thermapen MK4 I also recently just purchased.  I cranked the heat up on the KJ with the idea of a 5 to 10 minute sear and eventually opted not to do that  because we had a good crust already. See comment later. I used the ramp up temp time to do some crab italian sausage stuffed mushrooms instead and tented the roast. Leaving the probes in I continued to monitor what was now out of my control but watched internal temps climb to 140 plus so as an analytical I am questioning if that was because the heat was so uniform in the roast that there was a lot of residual heat or because I tented it. My target pull next time will be 115 as a result and the jury is out for me if that is a function of the SloRoller or not. The other issue was that I made my flavors too complex. This is not a problem with the SloRolller but in my judgement. Montreal, Brisket, and Eat your Bourbon dry rub for the dry brine followed by a wet rub before going on the grill with olive oil, paprika, fresh thyme and fresh rosemary was way overboard when added to the oak and cherry smoke. I am thinking next time it will be a simple flavor profile with no smoke, garlic, salt, pepper, and onion powder with the wet rub of olive oil, rosemary and thyme. 

Final conclusion, it is a keeper and I am happy that I have it. My technique needs some adjusting but that is on me.