Thoughts on this new SloRoller

LInda, I don't think there is a loss in surface area because you can still use the grate have. The difference is in the framework you put the grate on. It says you can only use the one that comes with it when you use the SloRoller.  It may have something to do with the way it fits around the hyperbolic chamber.

15 hours ago, Linda said:

Do you lose surface area with the new frate that comes with the sloroller? It looks smaller in the photos.

Can I still use the divide and conquer with the sloroller for the classic 2?? 

Every pic I've seen pushes the grate surface up at least two inches above normal. For me, that would compromise my ability to cook a 3rd or 4th brisket etc., on me second tier. I already have some difficulty fanangling things so that the temp gauge does not poke into my meat giving off flase readings.

And, it appears that you would either use the sloroller or the divide and conquer- at least it using as an accessory for the KJ or KJ II.

2 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Every pic I've seen pushes the grate surface up at least two inches above normal. For me, that would compromise my ability to cook a 3rd or 4th brisket etc., on me second tier. I already have some difficulty fanangling things so that the temp gauge does not poke into my meat giving off flase readings.

And, it appears that you would either use the sloroller or the divide and conquer- at least it using as an accessory for the KJ or KJ II.

You will not be able to use the expander grate with the add-on sloroller.

• 4 months later...
On 9/13/2020 at 4:45 PM, Leigh said:

As promised I put together to SloRoller this morning for use with a five pound plus prime rib.  The pictures I have included show the stackup which was a question.  The lid on the hyperbolic chamber is exactly 12 inches across. The space between the top of that lid and the bottom of the grill rack is exactly 1 3/8 inches so a tin foil 1"x12" deep dish pizza pan fits perfectly and provides more than enough volume for what I am doing

IMG-3279.JPG

IMG-3280.JPG

IMG-3281.JPG

IMG-3282.JPG

This is excellent. Question for slo roller users. Where do you put a drip pan with that little clearance from grate to slo roller top? 

I'm late to the conversation again, lol. So, I actually am in need of a new heat deflector for my KJ classic. Old one broke, dont remember how, cracked or dropped. I don't think I'd get this for the $189 price point. Guess they didn't sell very well? Anyway, I found one for $39.99, cheaper than a new heat deflector. At this price point, in willing to try it out.  https://www.scheels.com/p/kamado-joe-sloroller-with-rack-classic-joe/81173802351.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=unpaidlistings

FWIW, my son gave me this for Christmas, and we've only used it once, for wings and ribs. The big difference I saw was temperature uniformity - both grate and exit-vent probes read the same as the dome thermometer. I attribute that to improved air flow, and just with the extension rack fit!

Frank

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a fit issue where the middle part (not the flat plate but the curved part) of the slo roller and bottom part don't mate well? Mine has a wobbly fit. It ends up working OK but often when I put on the top plate, the middle part loses its balance and needs a reset. It's clumsy and forces me to use my heat gloves. Just curious if others have this fit issue, and if I should report this as well to KJ with my other issues. 

Still love it...just annoyed by the workmanship shortcomings on mine. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to Kamado Cooking, just received my Big Joe. Have done quite a few cooks in the last few weeks. I'm impressed and learning.  Regarding the slo roller, I have used it twice, once for pork belly and once for wings, both low and slow cooks. The top "disc" of the slo roller has started peeling, I'm guessing this is the teflon coating.  My son is going to strip it down and anodize it. Will post updated pics after the treatment and a progress report after a cook or two. Great forum!

16199681056965722357325167820281.jpg

1619968125042780696948858930956.jpg

I don't think it's Teflon coated (I could be wrong). Reason being, even though it's labeled not to be used above 500 degrees, if someone screws up and uses it higher than that, the burning Teflon becomes toxic. I doubt KJ wants that liability.

But yeah, all the black coated stuff from KJ tends to peel.

Here's the listing on bbqguys.com that mentions Teflon.

https://www.bbqguys.com/kamado-joe/slo-roller-hyperbolic-insert-for-18-inch-classic-grills-kj-hyper

Lots of vendors of these things say it's Teflon coated, but I can't find that information anywhere on kamadojoe.com

2 hours ago, jtemple said:

I don't think it's Teflon coated (I could be wrong). Reason being, even though it's labeled not to be used above 500 degrees, if someone screws up and uses it higher than that, the burning Teflon becomes toxic. I doubt KJ wants that liability.

But yeah, all the black coated stuff from KJ tends to peel.

Here's the listing on bbqguys.com that mentions Teflon.

https://www.bbqguys.com/kamado-joe/slo-roller-hyperbolic-insert-for-18-inch-classic-grills-kj-hyper

Lots of vendors of these things say it's Teflon coated, but I can't find that information anywhere on kamadojoe.com

Yeah, I've seen differing opinions and info on the coating. Food won't touch it, so as far as it being teflon specifically, I don't really have a concern. Mine was more the peeling, flaking, and the appearance after a couple uses. We will see how the anodizing holds up.