Focaccia Style Pizza on the Kamado Joe with the DoJOE

I caught a short video from Christopher Kimball on Milk Street last week where he made a pizza from a focaccia style dough that looked amazing.  I decided to give it a try right here for the first time and the results were really great.  Focaccia is an Italian flat bread that is made from a really wet dough.  It's much wetter than anything you would normally try for pizza because it's impossible to shape.  Well, as you can see in this video, we just let the dough shape itself basically with a little help pushing it to the edge of the pan.  

This dough, being as wet as it is (85% hydration) makes it difficult to use wet ingredients on the pizza such as tomato sauce.  The pizza would just be too soggy.  However, I do believe there is a remedy for that if you want.  You could put this dough in the pan and par bake it long enough to firm it up a little and then put your toppings on it sorta like you would build a grandma pie.

Here's the recipe for the dough:

Enough for one 12" pizza:

220g flour (1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons)
187g water (3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
6g salt (about 2 teaspoons diamond crystal kosher salt)
6g yeast (2 teaspoons)

Combine the ingredients in the bowl of your stand mixer and knead with the dough hook for 10 minutes.  Remove to oiled bowl, cover with plastic, and let sit at room temperature for 4 hours.  Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a 12" pizza pan.  Scrape the dough into the pan on top of the oil and let sit for 20 minutes.  Push the dough to the edges of the pan.  If it resists, let it sit for 5 to 10 more minutes and try it again.  Top the pizza as you like and cook in a 450° grill for 15 to 18 minutes.

Enjoy!

#AtlantaGrillCompany #KamadoJoe #DoJOE

I get a lot of recipes, ideas, and buy merch from Christopher Kimball. A lot of the recipes call for ingredients you probably don't have. Recipes can be more  complicated than Alton Brown. Lots of times I just riff off his recipe. I've seen this one repeated on most of his marketing channels, Yep, he is a selling machine. Magazines, radio, tv, ingredients, cookware, web site. I get tired of pay pay pay.  And all the emails, pop ups, sheesh. How about just one subscription gets it all? He's gonna recycle that recipe on another channel anyhow. OK, I got that off my chest.

Glad to see an independent review of that recipe. I might try it. Thanks for the video, keep up the good work. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyAppetizer said:

I get a lot of recipes, ideas, and buy merch from Christopher Kimball. A lot of the recipes call for ingredients you probably don't have. Recipes can be more  complicated than Alton Brown. Lots of times I just riff off his recipe. I've seen this one repeated on most of his marketing channels, Yep, he is a selling machine. Magazines, radio, tv, ingredients, cookware, web site. I get tired of pay pay pay.  And all the emails, pop ups, sheesh. How about just one subscription gets it all? He's gonna recycle that recipe on another channel anyhow. OK, I got that off my chest.

Glad to see an independent review of that recipe. I might try it. Thanks for the video, keep up the good work. 

The actual recipe was behind his pay wall so I couldn't actually see it.  He gave enough of it up in the short video that I was able to make it work.  I actually don't LIKE the way he made it that well.  I can improve it by either shortening the rise even further or using less yeast.....