Is my Sloroller ruined?

On 9/14/2020 at 7:42 PM, jtemple said:

If it's not warped or anything, you could look into cerakoting it. They have high heat applications used on exhaust systems, etc. Your grill would melt before the coating would.

https://www.cerakote.com/

That's good stuff but I'm not sure how safe it is for cooking? I'm sure it probably gave someone cancer in California. Lol

21 minutes ago, 67GT500 said:

That's good stuff but I'm not sure how safe it is for cooking? I'm sure it probably gave someone cancer in California. Lol

Yeah, you might be right. I'd just leave it as is and keep cooking. It's just cosmetic anyway.

I've seen some difference of opinion  as to what the slo roller is coated with My opinion  is that in this day and age of lets sue everyone for anything ( aka Mc Donald's hot crotch coffee incident)i can't believe any one would put Teflon on something that is going to get supper hot . Might be high temp paint better than Teflon(?) or some kind of powder coating. I've never seen one so this is just $0.02 worth. But no mater what's on it ENOY the grill

So I asked KJ and they said there was no Teflon on sloroller.   I agree with the if it isn’t warped badly don’t worry about the finish, it is for the showroom floor.  No finish won’t alter your cook.  The finish comes off on all of them eventually, mines coming off after a handful of low temp cooks.  

On 9/26/2020 at 9:43 AM, Daver said:

So I asked KJ and they said there was no Teflon on sloroller.   I agree with the if it isn’t warped badly don’t worry about the finish, it is for the showroom floor.  No finish won’t alter your cook.  The finish comes off on all of them eventually, mines coming off after a handful of low temp cooks.  

I wonder why all the BBQ retailers have the same text which says its coated in teflon?

https://www.bbqguys.com/kamado-joe/slo-roller-hyperbolic-insert-for-24-inch-big-joe-grills-bj-hyper 

Enhance your smoking and grilling capability with the SloRoller Hyperbolic Insert for Kamado Joe Big Joe III series kamados. The SloRoller hyperbolic insert fits inside your kamado in place of a heat deflector and is constructed of Teflon coated cast aluminum offering incredible durability. The hyperbolic design of this insert allows smoke and heat to be distributed through the kamado in rolling and recirculating waves resulting in enhanced flavor and fewer hot spots inside the kamado. Developed at Harvard, this product provides 20 times more smoke circulation than standard heat deflectors, increases air flow for a cleaner burn, and is engineered to slow cook from 150 - 500 degrees Fahrenheit. This hyperbolic insert will fit all Kamado Joe Big Joe III series kamados.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:48 AM, len440 said:

Just for curiosity have anyone measured the slo-roller metal vrs the dome temp during a slow cook? 

I have often thought the exact same thing but I assumed that their temp warning contemplated this as well.

I was doing wings at 425F with the SloRoller and figured the metal had to be at least 100F hotter but I have nothing scientific to back that up.