S&P brisket question - rub measurements?

SeaBrisket

For the first time I'm going to go straight dalmatian on a 9lb brisket flat early tomorrow morning. I've always used more complex rubs.

I know I'm going 50/50 s&p, but I haven't found consistency in the actual amount to use. Looking at several recipes they range from a few tablespoons of each to as much as a half cup. You'd think there'd be a rule of thumb like x tablespoons per pound of brisket.

Any guidance on this is appreciated. I'm tempted to just use excess and dredge for maximum coverage.

Might as well provide an update in case this question should come up for others. I saw some consistency across recipes for a half cup each of s&p for a 12lb packer. For my 9 pounder, I reduced to 1/3 cup, slightly less by pound than those recipes. The result was a nicely cooked, more than edible, but over salted brisket.

I'll continue the s&p approach. It yielded fantastic bark but I'm going to have to go lighter on the quantities and continue to experiment. 

For what it's worth, this 9lb flat took 17 hours to reach 203F! I cooked at 230 most of the way, wrapped in pink paper at 165F, and cranked up to 250F as my patience waned in the second stall around 185F. I was probing for tenderness, not just temp, and that's just what it took to get there. I was going to deliver portions of this brisket to friends and family for Rosh Hashanah dinner last night since people couldn't gather due to COVID. Instead I was calling them to apologize and will be delivering cold brisket today.

Screenshot_20200920-093329.png