Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the top vent and using a controller when bringing the Akorn up to temp. I just got an UltraQ and I'm doing my first test run (no food) and tried to set a temp of 235. It overshot to around 270. I think I may have had the flue on the fan a little to open but I was also wondering about the top vent. Do you guys set the top flue to its final temp position from the get go or do you work it closed same as if you were manually controlling the temp as the Akorn is heating up? BBQ Guru advised me too use the controller to bring the smoker up to temp. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jerrod

• 1 month later...

Greetings:  I just spent most of my Saturday experimenting with my Akorn Griller.  New user 3 or 4 cooking experiences.  Today I worked with the tiptoptemp device for heat control.  I have never spent money more wisely.  Amazing, mechanical and not much of a learning curve.  Sudden major changes in ambient temp can throw you a curve, but around 70 this afternoon on the MS Gulf coast and amazing results with the device.  Peace.

On 11/8/2020 at 8:20 AM, Nolajoe said:

Greetings:  I just spent most of my Saturday experimenting with my Akorn Griller.  New user 3 or 4 cooking experiences.  Today I worked with the tiptoptemp device for heat control.  I have never spent money more wisely.  Amazing, mechanical and not much of a learning curve.  Sudden major changes in ambient temp can throw you a curve, but around 70 this afternoon on the MS Gulf coast and amazing results with the device.  Peace.

What position is your bottom vent set at? I've seen some posts on other forums saying they have the bottom vent fully closed? Does this affect the quality of the smoke?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply to your questions.  The position of bottom vent open approximately 1/8",  just good crack.  Smoke quality was fine.  Attached temp unit prior to fire building, with dinner plate holder I purchased with unit.  Followed chart from tiptoptemp website which proved to be very close.  I loved the simplicity of the mechanics of it.  For the money I spent it has allowed more watch free smoking, and chasing temps.  The thing seems to almost sense temp changes quickly and compensates.  Good luck to you.