First Overnight Brisket, here's the plan...

MarkR

First time with the Big Joe 3 and an overnight cook, so here's my plan:

-Oak Chunks

-KJ Big Block

-250 Target temp, Fireboard probe attached to dome probe, using the drive fan to regulate temp.

-Start cook at 11PM, wrap around 6-7AM after splitting flat and point.  

-up to 300 depending on meat temp, target pulling meat by 11-12 at the latest.  

-Flat in cooler, point cut for burnt ends after an hour rest.

Serve in the 1-2PM range...

So, any thoughts or things I should think about changing?

Hi Mark! I am doing about the same thing!

I put mine on last night about 8 pm with a 230 pit temp using my Auber controller.

As I type this its about 7:30 am the flat is 163 the point 176. I usually dont look at the temps of the meat but I got a new bluetooth thermo with 4 probes so I figured might as well play with it

My bark is about set. I plan on wrapping in foil soon. Another thing I have never done. I usually use butcher paper but am trying something a little different. I am going pour come beef consomme around the edges of the meat when I wrap

When its done then I will separate the point and the flat, cambro the flat and make burnt ends from the point and at that time but my beans on the pit with them

image.thumb.png.133069615694d6180cc02facb7bc9ccd.png

I got a little later start because I overshot while starting and had to let it cool down.  I split the flat and the point at about 7:45 AM and the point was done in another 45 mins or so, it was like butter and registering 209 on my thermapen.  The flat stayed in another hour or so and I pulled it at 9:45.  hit 210 on the thermapen and was tender all around.

was done a little sooner than expected but we'll see around 1:00 how it came out...

3 hours ago, Buttburner said:

Hi Mark! I am doing about the same thing!

I put mine on last night about 8 pm with a 230 pit temp using my Auber controller.

As I type this its about 7:30 am the flat is 163 the point 176. I usually dont look at the temps of the meat but I got a new bluetooth thermo with 4 probes so I figured might as well play with it

My bark is about set. I plan on wrapping in foil soon. Another thing I have never done. I usually use butcher paper but am trying something a little different. I am going pour come beef consomme around the edges of the meat when I wrap

When its done then I will separate the point and the flat, cambro the flat and make burnt ends from the point and at that time but my beans on the pit with them

Awesome, let me know how it came out! 

Mine came out pretty good. Everyone loved it but I am a critic, I thought it was just a touch overcooked as the slices pulled apart too easily but at least it wasn't under-cooked.

Thats a big blower you have. My Auber has the 6.5 cfm works just fine. I stayed rock solid at 225f all night, I bumped it up to 250 then 300 after about 10 am since it still was not probing and I thought it would have been done by then. No more 225f for me it just takes too long. I am a hot and fast guy normally (on my stickburner) next one I will try at 250f on the Joe

Here is a pic before I separated the point and flat and put the flat in the cooler. I think how it got overcooked was I left it in foil in the cooler to rest and it kept cooking. I have never used foil before, only butcher paper. It probed perfectly so I think thats what happened. Next time if I use foil I will use butcher paper for the resting period. The nice thing about the foil is it held the juices well as the butcher paper isnt that good for that

One funny thing was one gal, my son's mother in law asked why they were called burnt ends. She said the were AWESOME not burnt at all!!! I guess she thought they would actually be burnt and nasty., why would anyone want to eat that. LOL

IMG_20200920_140105069_HDR.jpg