Cinnamon Swirl Bread

AJS390

For this month's challenge I decided to give a recipe for cinnamon bread that I had come across online a shot.  It seemed like a simple recipe, and the recipe called for cooking it in a cast iron skillet.  Unfortunately, I don't currently have a cast iron skillet of an appropriate size that will fit on my KJ Classic II without cutting the handle off (and cast iron pans in stock are virtually impossible to find around here and give ship dates of October or later online).  I do, however, have an enameled cast iron baking dish that I went with.

It's a pretty standard dough recipe (flour, sugar, milk, butter, yeast, salt, and cinnamon) with a 2 hour rise followed by flattening out, filling with butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar, and then rolling back up.  Where this recipe differed from most is that the roll was then cut in half lengthwise and braided back together to form a dough with a lot fancy top.  Let it rise for another hour, brushed the top with a beaten egg, and then put it on the grill at 325°.  Baked for 55 minutes (which might have been just a touch too long, but certainly not burnt).  Cooled in the pan for 10 minutes, then removed to a rack to cool completely.  

This turned out great, made a good swirl bread with a lot of cinnamon flavor.  A little denser that I might have liked, but pretty typical of most cinnamon swirl breads I have had before.  That being said, there are definitely some changes that I will make to the recipe next time I make it.  On the first run, I always try to follow the original recipe exactly to see how it's intended to turn out before trying to make any changes.  In this case, I think the first change I would make is to use bread flour instead of the all-purpose flour called for by the recipe.  Next, the example photos given show way more layer in their roll than what I got by stretching the dough out to the specific dimensions given in the recipe.  Next time I would feel free to stretch the dough even further to get more layers.  I also think that on the next run (whether in the kamado or in the oven) I would omit the pan entirely and just cook it as a tightly wound round directly on a baking stone.  I think the last change, to put the recipe over the top, would be to add just a simple glaze or frosting drizzled over the top to give the bread just a little creaminess, more along the lines of a cinnamon roll.  As it was this time, it was still great (some of those trying it loved it slathered with butter) and made great toast too.  All in all, I was happy with the result and had fun with the challenge.

The recipe I followed can be found at https://www.5boysbaker.com/cinnamon-swirl-bread/

P.S. not sure what the deal is but no matter what I try I can't get the photos to attach in the correct orientation, so you might have to turn your head and squint to get the full effect :-D

20200918_122557.jpg20200918_123054.jpg20200918_123529.jpg20200918_134644.jpg20200918_135029.jpg20200918_145148.jpg

20200918_145226.jpg20200918_145326.jpg

20200918_150718.jpg20200918_191420 (2).jpg

7 hours ago, skreef said:

Thinking you were cutting it as in "Cinnamon Roll cut" so how did you have the end result. Did you put slices in the roll up dough? Asking cause Breads interest me how they look too pretty to eat. I think it came out great, Whatever you did. Great Entry.

I'm not sure I know exactly what you are asking, but I think you're asking about the process of cutting it and braiding it.  After rolling the dough up with the cinnamon filling (like a jellyroll) you cut the whole roll in half lengthwise.  Then you twist the two halves together.

Here's a few pictures showing that process from the website/recipe.  Mine didn't look quite like that (less layers), as I said they appear to have rolled it out way thinner than what the instructions called for.

cinnamon-swirl-bread-stage-1-1288x1536.jpg

cinnamon-swirl-bread-stage-2-1288x1536.jpg

cinnamon-swirl-bread-stage-3-1288x1536.jpg