8” Mercer Chef Knife and My Knife Roll

DerHusker

The last time we rented an Airbnb I vowed to buy a knife roll and bring some of my knives with me so I could have the use of sharp knives instead on the dull knives they always seem to have. (It’s not that they need to be expensive, but if they were at least sharp I wouldn’t complain)

Well we just got back from spending a week in Reno at an Airbnb and you can guess how the knives were. So, I’ve made good on my vow and got myself a cheap knife roll. I also purchased this Mercer Millenia 8” chef knife to go in it.

As I said they don’t need to supply expensive knives and this new Mercer knife is proof of this. (It cost me whooping $18.00) So here is a video of the new knife and roll and the different knives I’ll be taking with me when we go on our next trip like this. (An assortment of mostly Mercer and Victorinox knives)

Video:

Thanks for looking.

For almost 40 years we have had a group of guys who go on one or two fishing trips a year to cottages in Northern Ontario.  I got so sick of getting to these “fully supplied” cottages and having only 30 year old, burnt, thin frying pans and butter knives disguised as  “chef knives”.  I finally put together a Rubbermaid tub with the essentials.  Over the years it morphed with the addition a spice kit, a laminated check list and even a can of green peppercorns for the steak night.  More recently we added a half-dozen warm white H.O. LED lamps.   That way when we find a cottage with old, 20 watt incandescents used for “Energy Savings” we can switch lamps out and have enough light to read by or play cards under.  

The final morph was to begin assigning it to someone new at the end of each trip.  They are now responsible for checking the kitchen box before each trip and making sure it is properly stocked and ready to go.  I haven’t had to do it for the last 5 years or so.

It sure is nice to get to a new cottage and somebody has unpacked the kit and on the counter is a nice pan, a sharp knife or two and some of the finer things to make being there a joy.

With that said, “nice kit”!  I really appreciate what you’ve created.

Well, dammit!

So I was drinking some wine, saw this post, got clicking on the web reading about knives, one thing led to another and before I knew it I had just dropped $234 on two new knives:

image.thumb.png.b2f19844a445fd53f7ecf1453940ddc3.png

10" Gyutu (Chef's Knife)

image.thumb.png.2be813256bb701122d4e904578212cbc.png

5.3" Petty knife

Both from Japanesechefsknive.com who I have used before with excellent results....

2 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

For almost 40 years we have had a group of guys who go on one or two fishing trips a year to cottages in Northern Ontario.  I got so sick of getting to these “fully supplied” cottages and having only 30 year old, burnt, thin frying pans and butter knives disguised as  “chef knives”.  I finally put together a Rubbermaid tub with the essentials.  Over the years it morphed with the addition a spice kit, a laminated check list and even a can of green peppercorns for the steak night.  More recently we added a half-dozen warm white H.O. LED lamps.   That way when we find a cottage with old, 20 watt incandescents used for “Energy Savings” we can switch lamps out and have enough light to read by or play cards under.  

The final morph was to begin assigning it to someone new at the end of each trip.  They are now responsible for checking the kitchen box before each trip and making sure it is properly stocked and ready to go.  I haven’t had to do it for the last 5 years or so.

It sure is nice to get to a new cottage and somebody has unpacked the kit and on the counter is a nice pan, a sharp knife or two and some of the finer things to make being there a joy.

With that said, “nice kit”!  I really appreciate what you’ve created.

Thanks Jeffie. I'm assuming these cottages are far from a local super market so the kitchen box sounds to a great idea. As you stated " having only 30 year old, burnt, thin frying pans and butter knives disguised as  “chef knives"." gets old and this knife and roll is my response. The pans at this last one were usable but the skillets were straight out of the 70's. Old Teflon pans where the Teflon was mostly going or gone already. We weren't going to use them under any circumstance. Luckily we were visiting family up there so we borrowed one of their skillets to cook with.

These Airbnb's should look there supplies and ask themselves weather they would want to cook on/with them. Again they don't need to be expensive but something usable would be nice.

5 minutes ago, adm said:

Well, dammit!

So I was drinking some wine, saw this post, got clicking on the web reading about knives, one thing led to another and before I knew it I had just dropped $234 on two new knives:

image.thumb.png.b2f19844a445fd53f7ecf1453940ddc3.png

10" Gyutu (Chef's Knife)

image.thumb.png.2be813256bb701122d4e904578212cbc.png

5.3" Petty knife

Both from Japanesechefsknive.com who I have used before with excellent results....

Wow adm! Those are nice knives. A far cry from the cheapy Mercer I just purchased for the occasional use on a vacation or at a bbq gathering.

Beautiful, but Ouch!

My last two knife purchases were from Value Village (discount/re-used store) - I think I paid $5 for both.

Put both of them to the Ken Onion sharpener and they are both sharp as razor blades.  I'm jealous of beautiful knives, but can't make myself purchase them any more.  Even the cheapest knives I find has good enough steel to hold a great edge for some time.  The metal of some cheapies is surprising high quality.

1 hour ago, DerHusker said:

Wow adm! Those are nice knives. A far cry from the cheapy Mercer I just purchased for the occasional use on a vacation or at a bbq gathering.

:-) They still do the exact same job though - and I certainly have some cheap but sharp knives in my kitchen!

My point is, I really shouldn't shop online half drunk!

Here is a basic knife set from Malcom Reed's "How To BBQ Right" YouTube channel.

I have used Dexter knives for literally decades and decades.  They are commercial grade.  Not made to be "pretty" but made to stand up to constant commercial use.

https://h2qshop.com/collections/barbecue-knives

45 bucks for the set, will hold a razor's edge yet still be re-sharpened  fairly quickly and easily and will outlast you and your grandkids.

And they are made in the USA, not by elves in a cave under Mt. Fuji or in China by slaves.

Tom

Dexter makes a Chef's knife too, it was just not in Malcom's bundle.

They have a 10" Chef's knife all over the web for about 22 bucks.

Found one here for less than $14.00

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/dexter-russell-31601-basics-series-10-cooks-knife-with-high-carbon-steel-blade-and-white-handle?keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqrb7BRDlARIsACwGad7zFhQyfpcaPbCrWuWUCtugaKp9RBxVdmnCmbY7cowHkIdnLGYfVy8aAuYKEALw_wcB

Look at restaurant supply houses, not knife boutiques.

Tom