8” Mercer Chef Knife and My Knife Roll

DerHusker

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2020 at 10:56 AM, SmallBBQr said:

Beautiful, but Ouch!

My last two knife purchases were from Value Village (discount/re-used store) - I think I paid $5 for both.

Put both of them to the Ken Onion sharpener and they are both sharp as razor blades.  I'm jealous of beautiful knives, but can't make myself purchase them any more.

@SmallBBQr.  Just found a deal on a Ken Onion (80 cad)!  Picking it up on the weekend.  In anticipation, I ran out to my local thrift store and picked up an 8” practise knife to work on.  Thanks for the suggestion.

On 2/11/2022 at 5:51 PM, Boater said:

That's a good deal!  They ship to the US?

Sorry amigo.  It was an auction. Most likely an Amazon return.  Still in the box.

Update.  Picked up the K.O.  It was a store return.  As new. Looked like three of the five belts had been slightly used and then the entire unit was returned.  Mostly likely sharpened their kitchen knives and then shipped the unit back.  First practise with my $2 thrift knife went very well.  Thinking about keeping it for my fishing trip kitchen box.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 11:26 PM, SmallBBQr said:

Thanks for the info!  I have now had my K.O. For a week and have been sharpening every straight edge I can find around the house.  This thing is amazing!  My wife just took the tip off a finger because her favourite knife has never been sharp and she did know to show it some respect even after I pre-warned her..  That’ll learn her.

My daughter who is a professional chef, and my wife bought me a complete set of the Mercer Genesis knives.  The weight and balance are incredible.  My daughter only uses Mercer knives.  They are not super expensive, hold an edge and are better than any knives I have used in the past.  I am not affiliated with Mercer in any way, nor are any of my family members.

@KJH.  She who will remain nameless recently knocked our Henckels bread knife off the counter and it shattered on the tile floor.  It was approx. 30 yrs old and I am actually happier that it broke rather than the floor tile….  Anyways, I have been considering a Mercer as the replacement.  Your comments have confirmed my decision.  Thanks.