What’s the best way to cook Italian sausages on a Big Joe

I’m trying to find a recipe for the best way to cook sausages and was looking for feedback.

Typically I see people smoking them at 250 with deflector and grate on bottom.

and then I see people grilling them after they have been smoked with other side of grate on lower side above flames.

1. Is this the proper way and is the grate level correct?

2. What temp should I smoke them to before grilling to 160? And will 250 with grate above fire be hot enough for final cook?

The way I cook the Italian sausages is to start out with them on the low grate. The temp is usually in the 350 - 450 range. I cook them like a brat or a hotdog. If the skins are splitting too much, I will move them to the up[er grate above the deflector to finish off. I don't think I have ever checked the temp on the sausages.

Another vote for direct. I cook them just like a hotdog, moving them around fairly frequently for even color and to prevent burning. I've never checked a sausage for an internal temp, but I like them to be just starting to split so there's very little danger of me under-cooking one.

Interesting responses, I’ve smoked them in the past at around 250 and I found it’s one of those meats that really absorbs the flavor of the smoke and he was toy benefits from it.

I was doing a kind of reality check to compare how others were doing it and if I’m really doing it the recommended way, surprised to see all the direct cooking.

I can't help you with Italian sausages, but as I live in the UK I cook a lot of British "Bangers" from the butcher which are good sized very meaty pork sausages.

(We don't actually really call them bangers here, we just call them sausages, but it seems they are called bangers in the US....")

I have always done them indirect at about 400f or so for around 20 - 25 minutes or so with no smoke, turning once. They come out great without fail and never split the skins - which is a sign of failure in cooking a sausage to me!

If you do them this way, then all the juice and fat stays inside and cooks the meat, so no dryness.

I ended up doing them smoked the entire cook, 250 with deflector plates and a little chunk of pecan, along with some seasoned onions in olive oil.

Took them off at 160, and they were some of the best sausages I ever had, beautiful smoke ring too.

put them on a fresh baguette with a blend of old fashioned mustard and mayo, topped with the caramelized smoked onions.

Costco mild Italian, great value.