Solidteknics US-Ion Lightning Quenched Skillet Kickstarter

Thought some of you might find this interesting.  A reasonably priced single solid piece wrought iron (fairly similar to carbon steel I think) pan with an oil quenched finish to eliminate the need for any initial oven seasonings.   

They have been in Australia for quite awhile and have more recently begun producing some of their products in the US. 

I saw J S post on these a while back. I had seen a lot of ads for similar pans, but pulled the trigger on Aus  ion. Seasoned above an beyond instructions. Made some chicken with wine deglaze. Wiped out black crap for ever and re seasoned. I like the pan, but if you use tomatoes or acid a lot, which I do, it's not for you.

11 hours ago, JohnnyAppetizer said:

Wiped out black crap for ever and re seasoned. I like the pan, but if you use tomatoes or acid a lot, which I do, it,s not for you.

I do like the pan, just not for certain things. I thought I would by a smaller one (I am kind of a completist at collecting things).So for $38, I did order one.

@JohnnyAppetizer  I don't have any Carbon Steel / Wrought Iron / Cast Iron pans that have a durable enough seasoning on them to withstand something acidic for very long without taking a hit.  I tend to use different types of pans for that sort of stuff.  Or just go for it and then know that I'm likely going to be doing some re-seasoning after.  I have that "completist at collecting things" issue too - so maybe if I had fewer pans and they all got used more, I would have one that was veteran enough seasoning wise to take a tomato sauce like a champ.  :)

These lighning pans are going to be thinner than their standard offerings...but are also much cheaper.   It will be interesting to see how they compare.  I figured for as cheap as it was, there was no harm, no foul with giving it a shot.  And I personally find this to be a very handy size.  I will probably do a few oven seasonings over the quenched finish for good measure - and then some stovetop seasoning as well.