Easy remove ikamand

Stevejoe

I'm finding that I like cooking without the ikamand for most things, but the ikamand is nice for low and slow, long cooks.  

Has anyone found an easier solution to switch back to the default vent slider? As it is now, I need to pull out the firebox and pull the screws out to swap before my low and slow cooks. I tried leaving both the ikamand mount and the original vent slider at the same time, this didn't really work. Neither was able to slide in the gasket. 

Not for me, I ended up switching over to Fireboard which I love and in this scenario works much better as well. I can leave the original slider door in and it just butts up against the adapter. The adapter also has a receiver at the top so I can easily remove it and go back to stock. Doesnt really help I know but +1 for fireboard, it's all round a much, much better product.

What kind of temps are we talking here, Ikamand will do higher temps, its not just a low and slow machine.... 

For higher temps I do 350-500 is the range I take it off for. But more back story here is that I do not own the ikamand cover plate for when the controller is removed to put out the fire, which means if I use the ikamand to put out the fire, I need to leave the controller outside. I bought my grill on facebook market place and the seller had the ikamand. But I also just enjoy cooking without it, but there are cases where it's nice to have the controller. 

Fireboard does look like an easier setup, but I probably won't upgrade at the moment. 

I'm beginning to wonder if I can replace the screws with some with a flatter head so the sliders can slip over the screws and out.. haven't been to hardware shop to see what's available. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you have the cover plate for the iKamand, is it necessary to switch out the the vent slider?  I was under the impression that it was not and was getting ready to pull the trigger on the iKamand, but if that is not true, I will need to look at other options.  

you have to change out the vent slider since the new one is also the adapter plate the iKamand attaches to. I have an iKamand, its ok, jury is still out on it as far as I am concerned

I actually left the original slider in place and put the iKamand on in front of it like a lot of people do. It works but its more difficult to adjust since now you have 2 plates filling the gap where there was one originally.

I have an old Auber that I adapted to the KJ before I got this, I made an adapter plate for it out of some shim stock and its much easier to use is easy to attach and remove. Similar to other makes of blowers. This is my home made one

I wish they would have come up with something like this for the iKamand. I like all the features of the iKamand but I miss the simplicity of the Auber. I may at some point go back to the Auber and sell the iKamand, I dont know

IMG_20200915_194138396.jpg

I probably should have been more clear.  Once you swap out the stock slider for the cover plate, is it necessary to reinstall the stock slider if you are not going to use the iKamand for higher temp and or shorter cooks?  I think I was under the impression that the cover plate replaces the stock slider and functions the same way, just allows for quick and easy connecting/disconnecting of the iKamand. 

If by "cover plate" you mean that plug that fills the hole once the iKamand is removed, in theory you can just cook as usual with the plug in place.

I have seen posts where since this plug as about 50% plastic it has melted from higher temps cooks. But from what I was reading you are supposed to leave the top vent open when you shut down to allow excess heat to escape and not melt this plug. Once it has cooled down some you can close everything off

This is not explained anywhere in the documentation I have for the iKamand, its all from reading on the internet about it. So I am not really sure since I have never done it that way

Common sense says to make the plug completely out of metal or some high temp material so it wont melt. Dont know what happened there...

You bet. 

Just a side note. My housing developed a crack where it attaches to the metal adapter. I sent in warranty claim asking for a new housing. They sent me a complete new ikamand! In the case. New probes everything! Outstanding customer service!it was sitting on my front porch just now when I got home from work