Pellet Joe: Reverse Seared 2" Ribeye Steak

John Setzler

I am on the record as not being a fan at all of boneless steaks in general and boneless ribeyes in particular. On the other hand, the marbling on that steak is fantastic. What grade of beef is that, John?

My two takaways are as follows:

1. It is extremely interesting to see the flames and temps that can be reached on this pellet cooker. I haven't looked at pellet grills in years (only cooked on one once) and they weren't capable of searing with gimmicks or reaching these temps at that time.
  2. I thought it odd initially that the dial did not have some reference as to what temp you might reach on the therm. I guess you get use to dialing that in.
  3. For those who caution against too much smoke on poultry- and none of us is in favor of bad smoke- how do you navigate that on a pellet smoker which pumps out smoke full time as opposed to just a few wood chunks in a fire basket?

@CentralTexBBQ

It's a choice grade i got at Publix.

2 - There are temp settings associated with each stop on the dial and you can see what they are when you open the app.  It will show you what it's target temp is for that particular dial setting....

3 - I think you will find that a pellet grill makes perfect poultry every time... or at least it does in my opinion.  I always cook my chickens and turkeys on the pellet grill because of this.

That's very impressive high temps for a pellet smoker! How much fuel did it burn in the process?

I'm also impressed with the speed that it came up to smoking and searing temps. I need a lot more patience (and effort/fiddling) with my regular Big Joe II to pull that off. 

-Andrew

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Dr.G
      Hi Everybody! 
      I've owned a Pellet Joe for a nearly a month now and to be fair, quite disappointed from the result. I sure hope that Kamado Joe is working on improving the app to include graphs, alarms settings, improving connectivity issues (the app just freezes as the food burns...) but my two biggest concerns are:
      1. The Pellet Joe regularly overshoots by 70 degrees or more. While on my classic II and Joe jr I can make an adjustment, the Pellet Joe simply does not allow any corrections to be made nor does it allow for setting bellow 200. I therefore cannot cook low and slow. 
      2. Once the grill is up to temperature, the grill simply stop smoking that beautiful blue smoke. 50-60% of the time it just sits there. As a result, there is no smoke flavor to the food. It just tastes like baked food without a hint of smoke. 
      I tried changing pellets, using mesquite pellets, etc... nothing works. 
      I took care not to obstruct air flow to the electronic dome probe as well - no luck. I even attempted to contact Kamado Joe - No answer. 
      Any thoughts?

• By John Setzler
      #KamadoJoe #PelletJoe

The new pellet fired Kamado from Kamado Joe is now on the streets in limited availablity:

https://atlantagrillcompany.com/products/kamado-joe-pellet-joe?_pos=1&_sid=7ab06f524&_ss=r

I have one of these arriving here tomorrow so I can put some content together about this grill....

Here's my walk-around video on this grill: