Pulled Beef Newbie

dylanm

I finally tried pulled beef!  I've done several pork butts before but this was a first for the pulled beef.  I saw several recipes on this site and others.  Started with a fresh chuck roast.  Covered in Stubbs Beef Rub.  Through on the KJ at 225F with a couple oak chunks.  Let it ride for a few hours.  After I hit 150F, I put it in a roasting pan with some beef stock, onions and green peppers.  Let it ride for another hour or two at about 225F.  Because I started later than I had anticipated for the day, I was worried about finishing in time for dinner, so after an hour or so in the pan I covered the top with foil to speed it up and punched up the coals to about 350F.  I took it off when I was reading 205F and it probed excellent.  After letting it rest for about 20 minutes, I pulled it and then poured some of the beef stock on top.  Picked up some fresh onion rolls and through them on the grill to warm them for a few minutes.  Topped the sandwich with some of the peppers as well as some munster cheese.  Most of the posts I've read had said to use a horseradish mayo but I couldn't find one at the grocery store so I used a garlic aioli mayo instead.  I did have a bunch of leftovers for the freezer and I think when I decide to warm them up, I'll make my own horseradish mayo and use that rather than the garlic aioli.  All in all it wasn't bad and most of all the better half definitely loved it.  I was careful when pulling it to try and keep some of the leftover fatty pieces out but I did get some on accident.  The beef was very clean of any excess fat before putting it on the KJ.  My question is...is this suppose to have some fatty pieces in it after cooking?  Or did I cause this because I veered away from the 225F that I had started at to be able to finish in time, causing it to not break down all the fat like normal on a pork butt?  Thanks for all the tips from everyone and for allowing me to always read your stories and expand my smoking library!

chuck4.jpg

chuck5.jpg

chuck1.jpg

chuck2.jpg

chuck3.jpg

chuck6.jpg

chuck7.jpg

Looks like it was a success!

Even if you got most of the external fat trimmed nicely, you’re still going to have fat and connective tissues internally as well.  I cannot stand any weird bits in a pulled meat, so I meticulously separate and pull a pork shoulder or beef chuck roast by hand. Claws and whatnot will get the job done fast, but don’t give you the opportunity to get rid of anything yucky. A pair of thin cotton gloves under a pair of nitrile gloves works great for this - enough protection from heat and full dexterity of using your hands and the easy cleanup of just stripping off your gloves.  That’s a wonderful trick I learned from DivaQ that I use frequently... 

Ditto all the above the only change for me would be to use straight horseradish,and if you have a head cold it serves 2 purposes sort of like that mustard in the Chinese restaurants . What is the flavor of the rub like.