2nd Generation Summit Charcoal 24" Kamado Grill and Smoker

SmallBBQr

So, from what I have been able to collect from bits and pieces I have found elsewhere, pretty well confirmed a 2nd gen Weber Summit Charcoal Kamado...

• New name -  "Summit Charcoal 24" Kamado Grill and Smoker"
  • Current models "discontinued" my dealer told me
  • New model is coming with lower price ($999 US base model)
  • No propane starter (on the base model).  The "grilling centre" might still have it?  Picture on links below seem to indicate no propane on either.
  • Mid November release date
  • Some "bells and whistles" removed for lower cost?  Still trying to confirm which specifically.

A couple links to a overseas vendor...

https://homefires.com.au/charcoal-barbecues/641-weber-summit-charcoal-grill-61cm.html

https://homefires.com.au/charcoal-barbecues/642-weber-summit-charcoal-grilling-centre-61cm.html

• 3 weeks later...

Well, interestingly enough, Weber has removed the Summit Charcoal Kamado off their Canadian web site all together in what looks like I am hoping is to update it to the new model....

image.png.ec9fae65c09bde56e957893371920a97.png

The Aussie site looks like it has the new models already shown.

image.thumb.png.2bc8a9e82568da0d51ec0696b88766a6.png

The new models have been posted around at different websites.  The two new sku's are 18501101 ($1699 with table and starter) and 18201001 ($999 no starter).

Link to new model with table https://www.abt.com/product/155533/Weber-Summit-24-Black-Charcoal-Grilling-Center-18501101.html

Link to new model without table https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Summit-Kamado-E6-Blk/5000237191

Pretty sure the abt picture is wrong and the garbage can is not included but the pricing is confirmed via multiple sites.

I talked to the local authorized seller and they said mid november shipping and that I could preorder if I want to.  I still have not heard what the differences are between the old and new model (besides the starter).  The USA weber website still has the summit listed.

What I have read is the grilling center might still have the gas ignition, but no diffuser (or diffuser holder on the frame) and no charcoal bin.   The standalone has no propane starter, different base etc.  Still waiting to see if the local shop can get one in...not buying until I can touch.

FEATURES

GOURMET BBQ SYSTEM STAINLESS STEEL HINGED COOKING GRATES

PORCELAIN-ENAMELED BOWL AND LID

BUILT-IN LID THERMOMETER

REMOVABLE, HIGH-CAPACITY, ALUMINUM ASH CATCHER

STAINLESS STEEL ONE-TOUCH CLEANING SYSTEM

RAPIDFIRE LID DAMPER

STAINLESS STEEL DIFFUSER PLATE

DUAL-WALL AIR INSULATION

STEEL CONSTRUCTION

TWO-POSITION FUEL GRATE

INTEGRATED MOBILE STAND

EASY-OPEN LID HINGE WITH GASKET

LARGE LID HANDLE

BOTTOM RACK

BUILT-IN FAN PORT

1 SWIVEL LOCKING CASTER AND 2 LOCKING CASTERS

1 hour ago, Scott Roberts said:

Also would a Big Joe Joetisserie work on Weber Summit Grill?

Scott

Iirc the big joe is 24 in and the first first gen summit is 22in. I could be wrong about that. I dont know if gen 2 is the same size as gen 1

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Surly Viking said:

Just ordered the base model.  Have no idea when it will ship.

This was more "Shut up and take my money"

I have wanted one of these for a while 

Dude, those look great.@babybackmaniac has a original one and loves it. I can’t wait to hear your reviews once you get to light er up

• 2 weeks later...

Well Weber finally updated their Canadian web page to includes the new branded Summit Charcoal...

Summit® Kamado E6 Charcoal Grill  &  Summit® Kamado S6 Charcoal Grill Center

https://www.weber.com/CA/en/grills/charcoal-grills/summit-kamado-series/

No local vendors have it in stock yet....looks like January perhaps.  I've read a few complaints though that some people are finding the E6 a bit "wobbly"....the stand/legs don't provide rock solid support.  A bit concerning.  I'm still debating on the standalone vs the side table version...still a lot of extra $$.

- My daughter asked me if she should jump on one of the E6's.

- I had read that the big change was no gas assist and a nice price deduction. Told her it sounds great.

- Asked if she could send me a link of a picture of the new grill. Upon opening the link I seen a huge change in leg/base and flimsy metal rack attached to legs along with caster change.

- Told her to hold off on that purchase. 

- Don't get me wrong I like Weber products. My only beef with my kettle is the leg design a bit of wobble but not unstable. Not worried about tripod legs. Heck our Monaco motorhome is a 3 jack motorhome and is quite stable with no wobble. I still have 97 Genesis 3000 (red hat) with a gazillion grill miles on it and it still looks like new and has with stood the test of time. So definitely not a Weber hater.

- So told her I would pay the difference for her if she could find a new generation 1 Summit in South Florida. 

- Took the little rascal a nano second to find a new generation 1 and she shook down her dad for a couple hundred dollars. The owner of the grill store who is an authorized weber dealer along with other gas grills and BGE's told my daughter it was a smart move going with the generation one. My daughter said the grill store owner did not like the leg design. Indicated he thought Weber should have kept the lower leg support members and basket (Gen 1) vice eliminating the lower leg support members Gen 2).

- Added bonus the store owner delivered and set up the grill for my daughter 100+ mile round trip.